Bit of a tricky one, help appreciated - Long!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a tricky one, help appreciated - Long!

My father owned my grandparents house, when he passed away the house was passed onto his 4 children as joint owners (later to be changed to 3 children and my mother) it was put into legal documents that my grandparents would remain in the house until they died, rent free as they had been living when my father was alive. My father had owned the house many years but it was kind of forgotten about as my grandparents very much treated it like their own, did all their own maintenence etc.

Many years later my grandfather has now past away and my nanna has been living alone in the house ever since. Unfortunately we didn't see nanna as much as we liked, with a visit approximately once a month, June last year my sister was informed (off the record by a friend of hers who happened to be one of my nannas carers) that my nanna had been taken to a care home to live, my uncle hadn't let us know (my uncle is a very bitter man who resents the fact he has no financial claim on my nannas house) my mother eventually got in touch with him to be told that yes she was in a home but would be returning back to the house which was fine. Roll on 3 months and the neighbour of the house mentioned in passing that noone had been in the property since June, my mother again contacted my uncle who said she was being assessed and would be home within days. My uncle has refused to give us details of the care home so we can't even visit our nanna

Fast forward to this week and it has come to our attention that my nanna will not be returning to the house and the house has been empty coming up to a year, the garden is overgrown and a mess and the house has been trashed (my poor nanna has dementia but she was still very house proud and we believe the trashing was after she left due to the fact her bed is still freshly crisp and made as she made it and it's drawers that have been opened and left on the floor rummaged through) my uncle has also removed the fridge/freezer and washing machine from the property.

Now to get to the point, obviously we need to sort the house out, we have no tenancy agreement, no rental money has changed hands and obviously we have proof we have never resided in the property however it seems at a glance my uncle has already informed utility companies my nanna has moved out yet her bank statements and important documents are still going there, there is also an outstanding gas bill which is going up £14 per letter, 1st question - am I correct in thinking we aren't liable for these bills?

Secondly - my nannas possessions (anything of value - ornaments etc) have been removed but obviously her furniture is still there and her general things, legally how long do we need to give him to clear the property?

Thirdly - is there anything we need to do other than contact utility companies to give my uncles address?

We need to get the house sorted as soon as possible, due to my uncle being so bitter he has removed polythene from the flat porch roof to cause rain to come in and this has damaged electrics and the plastering. I am correct in believing things are different because there's no agreements in place, obviously no deposit etc? As you can imagine we are disgusted with my uncles spiteful behaviour but my nanna lived in her house for a long time and so we don't want to just get rid of her things hence giving him time to come to sort it, how long should we give is the main question?

Sorry this is so long.

Has your grandmother made a Power of Attorney before she became ill?

Your father is the owner as I understand it so where is he in all this? Your father or his representative needs to make the house secure and inform the utility companies that no one is living there and why.

Surely a close family member is going to have to sort out this poor lady's things. Why does the wicked uncle have so much say in things - did he look after her when you didn't?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Who does the house actually belong to?

You say it's been empty for a year, so why would you contact the utility company to give it your uncle's address, when he doesn't live there and doesn't own the property?

What is stopping you from accessing the house and carrying out the repairs?

Comment

Originally posted by yorkie58 View Post
        June last year my sister was informed (off the record by a friend of hers who happened to be one of my nannas carers) that my nanna had been taken to a care home to live, my uncle hadn't let us know ...my mother again contacted my uncle who said she was being assessed and would be home within days. My uncle has refused to give us details of the care home so we can't even visit our nanna
        Have you tried asking the carer? Or social services (who would almost certainly have been involved in the move to a care home)? It really shouldn't be very difficult to find out.

Comment

I wonder if the OP has posted on another forum as many questions as to how to contact her grandmother?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

As noahsmummy.............

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
            I wonder if the OP has posted on another forum as many questions as to how to contact her grandmother?
            For reference http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...php?p=53034887
            Thunderbirds are go

Comment

If you are the owners and your uncle doesn't live there then what does it have to do with him? Go there, change the locks, make it secure, inform utilities and the council that the property is empty and start repairing the property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X