section 21 and arears

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • section 21 and arears

    Hi if a housing tenant has been given a section 21, is it a problem to still accept their rent from the housing dept during this notice period? Also they owe arrears so could the payment they continue to make be used for this purpose?

  • #2
    Why should it be a problem to accept rent for a period during which rent is payable and owed?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations


    • #3
      The tenancy has come to an end and I thought that as a section 21 has been issued still collecting rent may be a problem as you may be creating a new tenancy albeit a periodic one, but if rent can be collected after they have been served the notice and until they leave or by a court order which ever is sooner then that's great!


      • #4
        The tenancy hasn't come to an end, it comes to an end when you get notice off the tenant, the tenant surrenders the tenancy or you get and execute a court order.

        It is fine to continue as normal until your tenant leaves. The only exception to that is if the tenant gives notice and then doesn't leave on the expiry of the notice.


        • #5
          Originally posted by spare View Post
          The tenancy has come to an end and I thought that as a section 21 has been issued still collecting rent may be a problem as you may be creating a new tenancy albeit a periodic one
          A s.21 notice does not end the tenancy, nor oblige the T to vacate. The only effect of a s.21 notice is to entitle the LL to apply for a possession order after the notice expires.

          The only way you may unilaterally end the tenancy is by obtaining and enforcing a possession order. The tenancy will not end until the date that the bailiff enforces the possession order. Meanwhile, the tenancy continues and rent remains payable.


          • #6
            Cheers, yes the usually local council have told him to get evicted so then they will rehouse him. So section 21 issued and he says he won't leave until the ct order.


            • #7
              But have the council told him that the court can order HIM to pay your court fees?


              Latest Activity


              • Mice in the flat - what to do?
                We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

                Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
                26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
              • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
                I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
                26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
              • Tenant application form
                Hi all!

                So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

                Thanks in advance,

                25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
              • Reply to Tenant application form
                You really need two forms.
                a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
                b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
                25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
                25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
              • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

                Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

                Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

                Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
                24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
              • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
                25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
              • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
                25-07-2017, 22:07 PM