Guarantor refuses to be joint and sevaral. Any solution? Indemnity agreement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicholas03 View Post
    lawcruncher's most attractive text
    The above observation leaves you in the running for the award for "Most perspicacious first post".

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
      The above observation leaves you in the running for the award for "Most perspicacious first post".
      Many thanks for your clarity and wisdom!

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        I disagree. The students have only just moved into their first year's accommodation and are too busy working out how to survive University life generally, to think more than a week ahead. Why on earth should they choose to start rushing round sorting out a house for twelve months hence? Some cities are worse than others, but as soon as the agents start putting up banners in October saying 'New lists for student lets available now!' it is unsurprising that this generates demand. Chicken...egg!
        It's just the same scenario as the recent fiasco over panic-buying of petrol when strikes were threatened. Problem is set up by agents ( /government) and the students ( /drivers) all have to jump on the bandwagon or get left behind.

Comment

A different regime is needed for student lettings. At the moment it is pretty close to the capitalist's dream - guaranteed return with no risks.

Comment

Who determines the proportions is deliberately left unsaid
            Could I just make sure I've got the practicalities right?
            L lets house to students A B C & D, who have guarantors G H I & J. One weekend A goes home; B & C admit they trashed the kitchen; and D admits that she egged them on, but didn't do any actual trashing. Repairs cost £3000.
            Q1: What does L need to do to confirm that A B C & D can't/won't pay this £3000?
            Q2: Having confirmed that, have I got it right that L then writes to G H I & J on the lines "Please collectively pay me £3000, in equitable proportions, which proportions I leave to you so long as I get £3000 in total"?
            Suppose H & I then pay £1000 each, but G (reasonably) and J (debatably) refuse to pay anything.
            Q3: Does L then write to G H I & J on the lines "thanks for the £2000, but collectively you still owe me £1000. Unless I get this £1000 by [date], I will issue a money claim in the County Court"?
            Q4: If nobody pays any more, does L then issue money claim against G H I & J as joint defendants, and expect the court to order (for example) that H and I pay another £250 each, and J pays £500 ?

Comment

Bureaucrazy,

have you met any of the guarantors yet?
              I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite sure!

Comment

L lets house to students A B C & D, who have guarantors G H I & J. One weekend A goes home; B & C admit they trashed the kitchen; and D admits that she egged them on, but didn't do any actual trashing. Repairs cost £3000.
                Q1: What does L need to do to confirm that A B C & D can't/won't pay this £3000?
                Q2: Having confirmed that, have I got it right that L then writes to G H I & J on the lines "Please collectively pay me £3000, in equitable proportions, which proportions I leave to you so long as I get £3000 in total"?
                Suppose H & I then pay £1000 each, but G (reasonably) and J (debatably) refuse to pay anything.
                Q3: Does L then write to G H I & J on the lines "thanks for the £2000, but collectively you still owe me £1000. Unless I get this £1000 by [date], I will issue a money claim in the County Court"?
                Q4: If nobody pays any more, does L then issue money claim against G H I & J as joint defendants, and expect the court to order (for example) that H and I pay another £250 each, and J pays £500 ?
                You are making things unnecessarily complicated. In the first instance you simply claim the cost of repairs from the tenants' joint deposit from the protection scheme at the end of the tenancy. Only if the damage exceeds the value of the deposit do you need to start claiming through the courts and even then you could claim from aany or all of the Ts. Only when it gets to the stage where they do not pay, that you start suing Gs.

Plus, as LC says, students very rarely trash properties.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The best answer I can give is that whatever guarantees you have you are likely run into problems in getting a guarantor to pay up if does not think his own child is in default and disputes will follow. I do not think that my form of guarantee complicates matters. It is drafted the way it is to reassure the guarantor that (a) he is only liable for his own child's share of the rent and (b) he is not going to get stung for paying for damage caused by someone else's child, though he will be responsible for the full amount of any damage caused by his own child.

Comment

The best answer I can give is that whatever guarantees you have you are likely run into problems in getting a guarantor to pay up if does not think his own child is in default and disputes will follow. I do not think that my form of guarantee complicates matters. It is drafted the way it is to reassure the guarantor that (a) he is only liable for his own child's share of the rent and (b) he is not going to get stung for paying for damage caused by someone else's child, though he will be responsible for the full amount of any damage caused by his own child.
                    I completely agree with all of that (from experience both as a landlord and as parent of a student renter). I just wanted to be sure I understood how a landlord who has used your ingenious and attractive wording should best (a) approach guarantors if he does need to call on them in circumstances when reasonable people could differ about who should pay what; and (b) go to court if all else fails.
                    Or more briefly, if there is a dispute, have I understood correctly that the textbook procedure would be to issue a money claim against all the guarantors as joint defendants, and leave the court to say that some have no liability ? (As opposed to the landlord acting as judge, and deciding what the 'equitable proportions' are.)

Comment

@Nicholas03

I would answer your question if I were a litigator, but I am not.

Comment

I would answer your question if I were a litigator, but I am not.
                        Point taken. But wouldn't you care to offer an utterly informal opinion ?

Comment

Point taken. But wouldn't you care to offer an utterly informal opinion ?
                          Not a lot of point really.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Cant accept visitors with pets
                            by landlord-man
                            I wouldnt want a pet in unfamiliar surroundings next to my flat if I was living there - and certainly not over Christmas.

Kennels!!...
                            27-11-2021, 10:42 AM
                          • Cant accept visitors with pets
                            by Katarzyna1984
                            Hello everyone,

I am new here and I hope someone will be able to answer my question and help me out. My sister lives in rented property (flat) and she asked her landlord for a permission to accommodate my other sister with two dog for Christmas period. Landlord said he is ok with it but...
                            26-11-2021, 19:26 PM
                          • Reply to Guaranteed rent lease notice to quit
                            by landlord-man
                            Hopefully the Council wont give you details, sorry.

You need to demand tenancy details from the agency, including deposit details etc.

If they wont provide details, youll have to go through their formal complaints process and then their redress scheme.

Then, sack...
                            27-11-2021, 10:38 AM
                          • Guaranteed rent lease notice to quit
                            by lucylee
                            My late father's property ( 2×flats) is rented to a estate agent on a guaranteed rent basis. The last written agreement names as a rent lease has gone into a rolling contract. The agent appears to manage only 1 flat at the moment and rent adjusted accordingly. I've recieved letter of administration...
                            02-09-2021, 22:27 PM
                          • Reply to Guaranteed rent lease notice to quit
                            by lucylee
                            Hi it states that I must give 2 months notice in writing and that it must ne served by first class post.

I've sent a notice not in any form like in a typical s21. Just saying I give them notice to vacate at the end of the 2 months are require vacant possession of property. This was sent...
                            27-11-2021, 10:24 AM
                          • Reply to Economy 7 and a smart meter
                            by NaomiB
                            Thanks, I will get a picture of the lower consumer unit to see if the immersion heater is on that but I will assume it is. The heaters and the water heater are on one consumer unit and I think the heaters turn off when they are full but does she want (need) a full tank of hot water each day, if at...
                            27-11-2021, 10:08 AM
                          • Economy 7 and a smart meter
                            by NaomiB
                            I bought my tenant three new night storage heaters at the beginning of last year to replace the old ones.

I have just taken back management of this flat and a couple of weeks ago she emailed me about them. I told her that this particular meter had the economy 7 coming on at 8am in the...
                            23-11-2021, 21:24 PM
                          • Reply to No telephone tenant
                            by DPT57
                            Is the tenant refusing access for tradesmen or just refusing to host them? It's not really the tenants job to be there to facilitate access, it's something you should do using your own keys and I think you will have to discuss you having this kind of access with the tenant. You can still give written...
                            27-11-2021, 10:01 AM
                          • No telephone tenant
                            by Codger
                            This is odd. The tenant is on email but claims to have no phone. This makes access for repairs very difficult. She is not old but just uncooperative.
                            if i need access for tuesday she says can i do saturday! She didnt allow any access during lockdown even for gas checks.
                            25-11-2021, 13:00 PM
                          • Reply to Curtain poles in windows
                            by Kate foster
                            Thank you all much. Your advice all makes sense and I am in same agreement that I should get this done myself. It will be done to the standard I want and they will always s stay for next tenants. Thank you once more. 😊
                            27-11-2021, 09:53 AM
                          Working...
                          X