Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firepool View Post
    Hi,

As a landlord do I have to give the tenant a final arrears letter prior to issuing S8 notice?

And if so can I issue a S8 a couple of days after the final arrears?

(So far I have posted two arrears letters to the tenant).

What constitutes a "final" arrears letter?
    The Section 8 is exactly that in my opinion.

There is no requirement for one, but if it has been some time since you wrote to them outlining their arrears, then it may be good practice to do so.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

No, the s8 notice is (in effect) their last chance - if they cough up, you don't have to follow through to the court process.

Comment

Ok, many thanks.

Comment

Can I serve a Section 8 notice now?

Hi

My tenant moved in on 10.3.12 on a 12 month AST, rent paid pcm, and has paid no rent at all. Could I have served a S8 notice on them on 10.4.12 as on that date 2 months rent was unpaid?

Comment

Hi

My tenant moved in on 10.3.12 on a 12 month AST, rent paid pcm, and has paid no rent at all. Could I have served a S8 notice on them on 10.4.12 as on that date 2 months rent was unpaid?
            I don't think it matters, but does your tenancy agreement state that you can bring proceedings against them for this breach?

Why did you let someone whom paid no rent move in? What is the reason they haven't paid?
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

My TA states:

'Where the rent, any part of it, or any sum due from the Tenant under this Agreement, is in arrears of 14 days or more after it has become due, whether legally demanded or not, or the Tenant has breached any of the terms of this Agreement. Or any of the grounds set out as Grounds 2, 8 or Grounds 10-15 (inclusive) (which relate to breach of any obligation by a Tenant) contained in the Housing Act 1988 Schedule 2 apply, then the Landlord shall be entitled to end the Tenancy either (a) by serving the appropriate notice and obtaining a court order, or (b) by re-entering the Property if it is no longer occupied by the Tenant or anyone else with a lawful right to live in it. If the Landlord exercises this right of forfeiture, it shall be without prejudice to the other rights and remedies of the Landlord.'

Does this sound ok?

I foolishly accepted a cheque for a deposit and first months rent which bounced few days later. The tenant is delaying completing the claim for housing benefit for some reason and I get promises and excuses whenever I ask for the rent.

Comment

And can I include Ground 11, as well as 8 and 10, even tho they have only missed two payments?

Comment

Yes, use all 3 grounds.

Before accepting a cheque, it's best(not foolproof) to check if there is any money in the account.

Comment

Don't worry I'll never accept a cheque again!

What is the best way to serve the notice?

Comment

Hold fire before serving because iirc, as no rent has been paid, no tenancy exists. That has 2 effects, it can't be an AST because it is not a tenancy, and if it isn't an AST, then section 8 won't apply.

I think there may be quicker ways to regain possession than section 8, but others will advise.

Comment

Don't worry I'll never accept a cheque again!

What is the best way to serve the notice?
                        I always try and send two from two different Post Offices and getting a free certificate of posting.
                        You should also serve by hand and get a witness.

I prefer the Post Office route, as I always think a judge would believe this over a hand delivery with a witness, as I know I could easily get someone to witness an act that has never happened.

My tenancy agreements state that delivery by post, hand through the postbox, or handed to the tenant as a method of service. Check what yours says.

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                        Hold fire before serving because iirc, as no rent has been paid, no tenancy exists. That has 2 effects, it can't be an AST because it is not a tenancy, and if it isn't an AST, then section 8 won't apply.

I think there may be quicker ways to regain possession than section 8, but others will advise.

I would serve it for now anyway.
                        Unless the OP is paying for it to be done, then a £ worth of stamps is the only loss if you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                          I would serve it for now anyway.
                          Unless the OP is paying for it to be done, then a £ worth of stamps is the only loss if you are correct.
                          Valid point (I am agreeing with you far too often ). However, I suspect someone like Westminster or Lawcruncher will be along this evening to comment whether a court order is required, and what sort of order.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                            I always try and send two from two different Post Offices and getting a free certificate of posting.
                            You should also serve by hand and get a witness.

I prefer the Post Office route, as I always think a judge would believe this over a hand delivery with a witness, as I know I could easily get someone to witness an act that has never happened.

My tenancy agreements state that delivery by post, hand through the postbox, or handed to the tenant as a method of service. Check what yours says.
                            Thanks for that. My AST quotes:

'Any notice to be served under this Agreement may be delivered by hand or may be sent by registered post, recorded delivery, fax or email.'

Snorkerz - Should I post a new thread asking if anyone knows the law on what you mentioned?

Comment

Snorkerz - Should I post a new thread asking if anyone knows the law on what you mentioned?
                              No, those in the know will read this one - the moderators like to keep posts regarding the same tenancy on the same thread.

Comment

Ok thanks for your help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
                                  JP23
                                  We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
                                  26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
                                • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                  Jcg76
                                  I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                                  Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                                  24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                                • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                  Jcg76
                                  Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
                                  I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
                                  26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
                                • Tenant application form
                                  Elum
                                  Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
                                  25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
                                • Reply to Tenant application form
                                  AndrewDod
                                  You really need two forms.
                                  a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
                                  b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
                                  25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
                                • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                  leaseholder64
                                  I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
                                  25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
                                • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                                  Stybdmy
                                  Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
                                  24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
                                • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                                  KTC
                                  If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
                                  25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
                                • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                  Pb21
                                  Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                                  25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                                • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                  bergerac
                                  Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
                                  25-07-2017, 22:07 PM
                                Working...
                                X