Liable for LL's sale costs?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #91
    Further problems with LL. Harrasment?

    We have just received the following:
    You did not inform us of the damage you caused to the wall, this will be repaired and the cost charged to you.

    We have no idea what damage the LL is referring to. We believe it might be an outside wall - we live in a converted house with 3 flats and 6 tenants of the same LL. We haven't caused any damage and keep getting threats from the LL of this nature - what can we do? Does this constitute harassment or just heavy handedness?

    Comment


      #92
      Moderator : please merge with OP's previous thread about his LL.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

      Comment


        #93
        Originally posted by Fluid View Post
        We have just received the following:
        You did not inform us of the damage you caused to the wall, this will be repaired and the cost charged to you.

        We have no idea what damage the LL is referring to. We believe it might be an outside wall - we live in a converted house with 3 flats and 6 tenants of the same LL. We haven't caused any damage and keep getting threats from the LL of this nature - what can we do? Does this constitute harassment or just heavy handedness?
        Check out section 1 of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977, and see what you think.

        http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/43/section/1

        Note the emphasis on the fact that the LL must be acting with intent in order to commit an offence under the Act.

        Comment


          #94
          Originally posted by westminster View Post
          Check out section 1 of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977, and see what you think.

          http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/43/section/1

          Note the emphasis on the fact that the LL must be acting with intent in order to commit an offence under the Act.
          Thanks for the link.I guess what you are saying is, that its almost impossible to prove intent? How would the council show that the LL 'does acts calculated to interfere with the peace or comfort of the residential occupier or members of his household...'?

          My family is getting very stressed with the continual emails he is sending of this nature. For example, he sent on Thursday night a half filled in Claim Form for damage he alleges we made to a washing machine.

          Comment


            #95
            If you think it comprises harassment, then report to the Tenancy Relations Officer at the local council - it's the council which brings prosecutions for unlawful harassment.

            Comment


              #96
              Several related threads merged.
              I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

              Comment


                #97
                Liable for LL's sale costs?!

                Hi there,

                I am in a fixed period AST and have been given a S.21 notice. We are currently looking for other property and have informed the LL that we intend to move by the end of the fixed period subject to us finding other accommodation. We believe that the LL has sold the property but do not know what sale contract he has (obviously) or when the completion date is (although the estate agent has told us he has exchanged).

                The LL has written to us:

                I also reserve my right in connection with recovering any damages from yourselves as a result of the breach of contract I may suffer in the connection with the sale as result of your failing to move at the end of the fixed term.


                I assume he has no right to pass through costs to us. Can someone confirm this and suggest a reply?

                Comment


                  #98
                  Originally posted by Fluid View Post
                  Hi there,

                  I am in a fixed period AST and have been given a S.21 notice. We are currently looking for other property and have informed the LL that we intend to move by the end of the fixed period subject to us finding other accommodation. We believe that the LL has sold the property but do not know what sale contract he has (obviously) or when the completion date is (although the estate agent has told us he has exchanged).

                  The LL has written to us:

                  I also reserve my right in connection with recovering any damages from yourselves as a result of the breach of contract I may suffer in the connection with the sale as result of your failing to move at the end of the fixed term.


                  I assume he has no right to pass through costs to us. Can someone confirm this and suggest a reply?
                  Unless you've signed a legal contract to say you will vacate before completion - he can't do that.

                  Legal people will be along who can give you proper advice.

                  Comment


                    #99
                    Sounds like harassment to me. Write & remind landlord harassment can get him a criminal conviction
                    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Fluid View Post
                      Hi there,

                      I am in a fixed period AST and have been given a S.21 notice. We are currently looking for other property and have informed the LL that we intend to move by the end of the fixed period subject to us finding other accommodation. We believe that the LL has sold the property but do not know what sale contract he has (obviously) or when the completion date is (although the estate agent has told us he has exchanged).

                      The LL has written to us:

                      I also reserve my right in connection with recovering any damages from yourselves as a result of the breach of contract I may suffer in the connection with the sale as result of your failing to move at the end of the fixed term.

                      I assume he has no right to pass through costs to us. Can someone confirm this and suggest a reply?
                      LL can't attempt to punish you for your use of your legal right to leave at the end of the fixed term of your tenancy unless you have provided an indemnity of some sort.

                      I assume you haven't done that.

                      You are also within your rights to say "we may or may not leave", even if your LL has given you a valid S21 for that date.

                      LL may well be correct in perceiving that you making things a little more difficult for him than you may need to, but he is not in a position to do anything about it.

                      Of course, if you stay 1 day over, you are liable for a whole month's rent.

                      I'd ask him for a written statement of exactly which law makes you liable for costs he incurs due to his personal arrangements with a third party to which you are not a party.

                      He is wibbling furiously and trying to sound impressive :-).

                      ML
                      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

                      Comment


                        Another related thread merged with the several threads merged at post #96.
                        I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post
                          LL can't attempt to punish you for your use of your legal right to leave at the end of the fixed term of your tenancy unless you have provided an indemnity of some sort.

                          I assume you haven't done that.

                          You are also within your rights to say "we may or may not leave", even if your LL has given you a valid S21 for that date.

                          LL may well be correct in perceiving that you making things a little more difficult for him than you may need to, but he is not in a position to do anything about it.

                          Of course, if you stay 1 day over, you are liable for a whole month's rent.

                          I'd ask him for a written statement of exactly which law makes you liable for costs he incurs due to his personal arrangements with a third party to which you are not a party.

                          He is wibbling furiously and trying to sound impressive :-).

                          ML
                          Many thanks for your reply. Of course, as we are not party to his sale contract, we have no idea when the completion date is. I will write something as you suggest.

                          As an aside the latest battle is he is saying he will throw away any of our property that is in a shed we have the use of which is not a bike!

                          Comment

                          Latest Activity

                          Collapse

                          • Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
                            Sonofahod
                            Hi There,

                            I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
                            23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
                          • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
                            mariner
                            Your information is severely deficient,
                            Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
                            You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
                            Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
                            24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
                          • Attending Court - Advice Please
                            Muzza
                            Hi there

                            I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
                            12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
                          • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
                            Muzza
                            Thank you, Ill take a look!
                            24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
                          • Broken Boiler
                            andy967
                            HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
                            23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
                          • Reply to Broken Boiler
                            Muzza
                            I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
                            24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
                          • Section 8 notice served, what next
                            lakemk
                            Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

                            I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
                            22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
                          • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
                            Muzza
                            Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
                            24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
                          • Leak into downstairs flat - advice
                            Dberry
                            Hi,

                            I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
                            I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
                            23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
                          • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat - advice
                            mariner
                            T responsibility.
                            24-01-2018, 02:13 AM
                          Working...
                          X