Is it fair to to judge on Credit Check alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it fair to to judge on Credit Check alone?

What are the forums thoughts on whether or not it is fair to judge a Tenants capability of paying rent on their Credit Check alone given the recent financial climate in the UK?

Although it would obviously suggest that someone with poor credit is more likely to default on a payment than someone with good credit, do you think it is fair to judge on Credit Scores alone?

Have you got a vested interest in credit checks?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

May I point out that your company is breaching the forum rules by using your domain name as a username?

However, that aside, a credit reference is only one, albeit important, measure of a tenants suitability / reliability.

Comment

Non what so ever. We carried out a survey in London last month and this was a point raised by a couple of tenants who were in the market at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
          Have you got a vested interest in credit checks?
          His usename gives it away

Comment

Apologies, Is there a way to change it. Not on here for promotion purposes at all just to keep in the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
              His usename gives it away
              Seems a little cynical guys, really not here to promote.

Comment

Any cynicism comes from the hundreds that came before you using their company name to promote services etc. I can’t change your user ID by the way, but you can re-register with a different name.
                I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
                  Any cynicism comes from the hundreds that came before you using their company name to promote services etc. I can’t change your user ID by the way, but you can re-register with a different name.
                  Understood. I am here for information purposes only. This is a harmless thread I assure you

Comment

Originally posted by mytenantsearch View Post
                    Understood. I am here for information purposes only. This is a harmless thread I assure you
                    I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.
                    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Non what so ever. We carried out a survey in London last month and this was a point raised by a couple of tenants who were in the market at the moment.
                      What point exactly?

Did these tenants say they thought it was "[un]fair to judge a Tenants capability of paying rent on their Credit Check alone"? How did they think LLs ought to assess a tenant's ability to pay? By their winning personalities, convincing hard luck story, etc?

Comment

It's a useful tool at your disposal, but not the bee all and end all (IMHO)

If you can be assured that your prospective tenants last LL is unbiased then I would ask for their references, use it in conjunction with a credit check.

Did I mention I'm a tenant, looking for a new place, less than perfect credit rating?

Comment

Seems a little cynical guys, really not here to promote.
                          Well that's a dishonest statement, IMO.

Comment

What are the forums thoughts on whether or not it is fair to judge a Tenants capability of paying rent on their Credit Check alone given the recent financial climate in the UK?
                            A person's financial wisdom also matters but can't really be documented. I don't look too good on paper now because my work hours - already part-time & term-time only - have been cut so much (recession) that my annual salary is so low that I will need to use a relative as guarantor when I move (as I plan to). However, I am financially savvy, very frugal, and not going to risk the roof over my kids' heads by missing a rental payment. Hopefully my current landlord will vouch for that, but I do worry about the Experian check even so.

I think you can get a sense of a person's honesty etc face to face; individual circumstances can also be a guide, up to a point, to likely behaviour. But do agencies & landlords actually use their personal judgement or experience too in assessing potential tenants' likely risk ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X