Heating for young children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heating for young children

Are there any laws regarding providing heating in homes where there are babies?

My daughter has moved into her new house (social LL) but there will be no heating, hot water or cooking facilities available until 13th january (next Saturday) at the earliest, and she has a child under 2 years old.

She was told that she had to move into the house this weekend or pay 1 weeks rent (she is on HB). As her husband is off work ill this was not an option for them, however, I am concerned as they cannot bathe, get the house warm, or cook.

I dont know if this is legal, illegal, or if its just of no concern for a social LL, can anyone assist please?
    thank you
    Katier

dont you just love councils ... one rule for them and another for everyone else!!!

Regarding Heating I would have said that its not illegal, my parents moved into a council property and had no heating other than a gas fire for about 7 years. Even after my dad had been hospitalised with double pneumonia and spent 4 weeks in intensive care the council said that heating was not a priority!!

Hot water you can heat via kettle etc so not usually a problem so long as something is sorted when they say it will... which I doubt!

Cooking facilities... not sure on this one maybe a more senior member can comment but I think that this should be sorted asap.

Mnd you when I moved into my council flat about 9 years ago we were without Gas for 4 weeks due to a council error!! That meant no heating no hot water and no cooking facilities. We were on the verge of going to the local papers when they came forward with a corgi gas man!

Maybe a call to the local environmental team would be useful but dont say its a council place!!!
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
      <snip>
      Maybe a call to the local environmental team would be useful but dont say its a council place!!!
      Ask about the new standards of fitness and ask if the property should have been let in that condition.

Once you have the EHO advice then reveal that the issue concerns a Council property and ask them to take up the problem on your behalf.

When Blackkatier states "no heating" does this mean no central heating. Are there no alternative means of heating the property.

When our contractors were awaiting parts to repair the central heating system at our flat I supplied emergency electric oil filled radiators. If this is the main problem ask the Council to arrange through Social Services for the provision of emergency heaters.

If this is done then it is my opinion that the time schedule for repairs is reasonable.

Keep us informed of your findings!!!!

As stated in a similar thread temporary supplies of hot water for personal washing can be provided by kettles or saucepans on the hob and hot water for dishwashers or washing machines (particularly those with cold fill) is a luxury rather than an essential.
      Vic - wicked landlord
      Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
      Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

...and s.11 of LTA 1985 will apply too.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Bit puzzled by the lack of cooking facilities. Please explain what the problem is here.

I thought most people buy their own slot in cooker appropriate for the type of power supply.

Comment

Poppy its possible as in my case that the Gas supply has been capped at the meter and Corgi engineer needs to come out and commision the system.. even if there was a Gas cooker point there is no gas to use!!!
            GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
              Poppy its possible as in my case that the Gas supply has been capped at the meter and Corgi engineer needs to come out and commision the system.. even if there was a Gas cooker point there is no gas to use!!!
              So breach of s.11, unless - by s.14 - that does not apply, eg if lease is by one of the public-sector bodies identified in s. 11(4).
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X