Bathroom unusable in rental flat

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bathroom unusable in rental flat

    My girlfriend and I have been renting a ground floor flat privately for about the past 12 months.

    Unfortunately as a result of some dodgy building work in the first floor flat our bathroom and kitchen were badly flooded leading to severe damp and damage to the walls and ceiling. This led to mold growing in the kitchen, bathroom and conservatory.

    The landlord has been reasonably good about getting repair work done through his insurers, but they have effectively said that the flat would need to dry out before the building work could be started.

    So 6 months down the line we are finally getting the works done, the (only) bathroom has been torn out leaving just the toilet (which is only plumbed in via the outpipe so has to be flushed with a bucket). This means that we are without a flushing toilet, bath, shower, sink or even a door.

    The landlord advised us that the work to repair and refit would take about a week, which we were willing to put up with, but the builder has discovered that the beam supporting the wall between the bathroom and kitchen is now effectively rotted through, which means that it will need to be torn down and replaced with a stud wall. Which means that the works will be extended by at least a couple of weeks.

    The flat is also covered in a layer of dust throughout as it seems the builders have opened every door that we had closed and are using our living room and conservatory for storing building materials.

    What are our rights in terms of getting somewhere to wash and a working toilet - as it stands we have had a couple of days washing at the kitchen sink (which is not ideal when your kitchen is overlooked by the neighbours garden) but it is obviously less than ideal when both myself and my girlfriend work long hours in the city.

    If the works now result in the loss of both the bathroom and kitchen, should the landlord (insurance?) be paying for a hotel/alternative property for us?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


    I would be reasonably confident in describing your home as uninhabitable, and therefore the landlord has an obligation to provide you with alternative accommodation.

    Alternatively, if you have friends you can sofa-surf with, maybe it would be more attractive for your landlord to not charge you rent for the period.


      Unfortunately, as above. Your landlord should provide you with temporary housing in a hotel or another property they own.
      Alternatively, if its just the w/c or toilet. They may be able to rent one of those temporary bathrooms.

      Id take some photos and videos, some evidence gathering if it is disputed at any point by LL. Id give LL opportunity to provide alternate accommodation until you pay for it yourself, you may need to claim it back via court then you see.

      I think you your still obligated to pay the rent, ridiculous as it may seem. Unless LL gives you written exception.


      Latest Activity