Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Damage

Hi,

This is my first post. I would appreciate if you can help me here.

I have a flat which I have rented out through a letting agent. The agents are managing the property for me. Recently we had a bad fire and it has damaged one of the bed rooms very badly. I'm still waiting for the final report to find the root cause of the fire. Structural damage is covered under the building insurance. I had couple of furnitures and were not that expensive so I haven't taken any contents insurance. I was told the building insurance doesn't cover the carpets so I have to bare it. I have couple of questions

1. If this was an accidental damaged caused by tenants can I take them to court to pay the charges they caused me to lay the carpets and other expenses(except the furniture damages)?

2. What will be the agents responsibility here? Is this my responsibility to follow the progress from the insurance and the building work progress OR it is the agents responsibility to follow up the progress and liase with me?

Thanks in advance.

1. Do the tenants have any contents insurance? If so claim on theirs. Depending on cause of fire you could invoice them for the damage to your goods and follow that up in the small claims court if they do not pay. BUT if they are continuing the tenancy it will create a lot of bad feeling.
    Who is clearing up the smoke mess?

2.Look at your contract with your agent. I doubt if if says ' in case of fire we will sort it all out for you'. Think about it - why should they?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
      1. Do the tenants have any contents insurance? If so claim on theirs. Depending on cause of fire you could invoice them for the damage to your goods and follow that up in the small claims court if they do not pay. BUT if they are continuing the tenancy it will create a lot of bad feeling.
      Who is clearing up the smoke mess?
      Tenants don't have any content insurance. Property management company who manage the property are clearing the smoke and they are progressing on the rebuilding my flats along with the insurance company.

2.Look at your contract with your agent. I doubt if if says ' in case of fire we will sort it all out for you'. Think about it - why should they?
      Yes there are no such clause in the contract. I live far away from the property I can't manage the day today activities that is the reason I have appointed the property management agent to look after my flat.Hence I want to know whether they will manage the day to day rebuilding proceedings as well.

3.Other query I have is the insurance company is going to get the quote from various builders and select a builder to repair the flat. The flat needs couple of new doors and french windows and they should match with the existing/windows similar to other flat. Interiors(walls,painting,partitions) need to be altered as well.
      In this process do I need to interfere and do any checks OR allow the insurance and property management company who manage the flats to do the work and check at the end?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X