getting gas electric card meter installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting gas electric card meter installed

i am renting a small one bed house,was thinking of getting an electricty and gas card meter installed i know the bills would be bigger for my tenants but would also be easier for them to pay,,
    do u think a card meter would put off future tenants from renting or be a bonus?
    cheers mac933

Originally posted by mac933 View Post
    i am renting a small one bed house,was thinking of getting an electricty and gas card meter installed i know the bills would be bigger for my tenants but would also be easier for them to pay,,
    do u think a card meter would put off future tenants from renting or be a bonus?
    cheers mac933
    I think you mean a pre-pay meter, and you would be letting it, not renting.

I would not do so, but it depends on the market that you are aiming for/would most likely rent the flat.
    If someone moves in and wants one, there is nothing to stop them for getting one installed themselves.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

thanks yes i ment a pre pay meter i think i will give it a miss as once installed might be a problem switching back to normal meter
      cheers mac933

Comment

Originally posted by mac933 View Post
        thanks yes i ment a pre pay meter i think i will give it a miss as once installed might be a problem switching back to normal meter
        cheers mac933
        If a tenant gets into debt with a utilities suppliers,you will find they Will install a pre payment meter anyway to recover the debt.

If a T or LL tried to stop a pre payment meter been fitted,utilities suppliers would obtain a Warrant from a magistrate to gain entry and fit a pre payment meter !
        Thunderbirds are go

Comment

I personally do not like pre-payment meters. You pay so much more. They are NOT easier as you have to remember to keep them topped up, how could you think that easier than paying less via DD ?

Whether you trust your T to pay the bill is another matter but please don't think that having a pre-payment meter is easier.
          I'm a good tenant with great landlords
          I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

As a tenant currently with pre-pay meters for gas and electric, they are an utter pain and I will actively avoid properties with them installed in the future.

Comment

Although you can top us a lot of meters online these days, making it fairly easy.

Comment

many thanks for all your feedback i wont be installing a pre paid meter now thanks mac933

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                  I personally do not like pre-payment meters. You pay so much more. They are NOT easier as you have to remember to keep them topped up, how could you think that easier than paying less via DD ?
                  If you don't understand now, then you probably never will.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                    If you don't understand now, then you probably never will.
                    Sorry, are you agreeing with me or think I'm wrong and believe it's easier to have pre-payment meters ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                      Sorry, are you agreeing with me or think I'm wrong and believe it's easier to have pre-payment meters ?
                      It's 'easier' for some people; for example the poorest in society who are living hand-to-mouth and basically live on what little cash they have in their pocket that week - ie when it's gone, it's gone. The sort who when they want to buy a new sofa, don't think "it will cost me £200"; but rather, "it will cost me £3 a week" (never mind the fact that they'll have to pay that for 2 or 3 years). For these people, the whole concept of putting money aside to save up for a future bill is quite simply, far from "easy".

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                        It's 'easier' for some people; for example the poorest in society who are living hand-to-mouth and basically live on what little cash they have in their pocket that week - ie when it's gone, it's gone. The sort who when they want to buy a new sofa, don't think "it will cost me £200"; but rather, "it will cost me £3 a week" (never mind the fact that they'll have to pay that for 2 or 3 years). For these people, the whole concept of putting money aside to save up for a future bill is quite simply, far from "easy".
                        It is that train of thought that keeps the poorest in society poorer. In order to get things £3 or £4 a week that will end up costing that poor person twice it would the richest!.

I am in fact one of those you speak of. I am on a very low income but make what money I have work for me by not paying a single penny more than I have to for the same product. I have never waited on the first bill, but set up DD days upon moving in (makes utility companies grumpy but whatever).

Ok, I'll put it another way. It is easier for ppl who cannot manage their money not to get into big bills with utility companies as when they have no money they'll just have to sit in the cold/dark when in reality they've paid more for what they've used than someone paying monthly on a cheaper tarrif.

All this though is not about renting, it's more about ppl living within their means and when you get ppl paying £3 or £4 or £5 a week for this or that then of course they can't plan and budget to pay things via DD where you can get tarrifs cheaper. Why do the poorest of society need to pay x amount a week for a sofa when you can find decent second hand stuff in charity shops/local groups on facebook/ebay etc ?

Once you stop getting ripped off by interest/paying more via installments then you find you can afford more and plan better.

I feel I can say that. I was a single Mum on benefits for a long time through no choice of my own. I manage my finances so well and even then I was pre-approved for an £18k loan with my bank. I only work part-time now for little above minimum wage and could blow the £40k available to me today. Do I ? no because I know I can't pay it back!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X