Do I have to provide a cooker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to provide a cooker?

Hi, I am just about to rent out a house. The prospective tenant has looked roun and say they want it. There is no cooker there at the moment, only a gap where the old gas cooker was. Is it law that I provide a means of cooking?

No it is not a legal requirement. Failing to provide one may seriously limit your potential market though.

Comment

Prosp T may have their own cooker. Best to get your qual person to install whether gas or elec. If gas, then T is resp for cooker check cost on your GSC (if inspector charges extra).

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
        Failing to provide one may seriously limit your potential market though.
        Yes, I let unfurnished and choose (normally) not to provide fridges, washing machines, dishwashers etc - however I do always provide a cooker (but agreed, it's not compulsory to do so). I think tenants tend to accept that they'll have their own fridges etc, but cookers are rather a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbourbon View Post
          Is it law that I provide a means of cooking?
          There is no law which says the landlord has to provide cooking facilities.

Comment

If you are planning to rent to tenants on HB the council can make it a requirement.

Comment

As stated above, not a legal requirement but you are seriously limiting your market for prospective tenants.

I'd put a cooker in there, they need not be expensive.

Comment

I have always rented unfurnished but the properties have always had an oven (built-in). I never use them for cooking though (just storage really). I use a small standalone one, as it's cheaper to run and keep clean
                I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                  I have always rented unfurnished but the properties have always had an oven (built-in). I never use them for cooking though (just storage really). I use a small standalone one, as it's cheaper to run and keep clean
                  Just to be clear, you privately rent but rather than use your Landlord's cooker you use your own electric one?

Think you might be the exception rather than the rule...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_Manchester View Post
                    Just to be clear, you privately rent but rather than use your Landlord's cooker you use your own electric one?

Think you might be the exception rather than the rule...
                    I enjoy smaller utility bills.

I will agree though that by not providing one it would limit their target market (but isn't that a wee bit obvious ?). Although I do know of ppl trying to sell off stuff as going from home ownership into rented and don't wish to store their own oven to use the LLs.

Never say never, I may use a LL's oven one day (chrimble or dinner party). Just haven't for approx 10 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
                      If you are planning to rent to tenants on HB the council can make it a requirement.
                      No they can't.
                      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Indeed, the majority of HB claimants own their own cooker.

Social LLs and councils do not provide cookers in their properties and require the gas safety certificate from Ts when installing a gas cooker.

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                          You've got the wrong appliance, Brb!

Dishwashers are much better for simple storage than cookers. You put dirty crockery and cutlery in them, leave it a few hours, then take it out and wash it up by hand as you need it. Keeps the kitchen much tidier.
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            You've got the wrong appliance, Brb!

Dishwashers are much better for simple storage than cookers. You put dirty crockery and cutlery in them, leave it a few hours, then take it out and wash it up by hand as you need it. Keeps the kitchen much tidier.
                            LOL the dishwasher is used to wash dishes! do you not recall my dear when I flooded the house getting it installed

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                              No they can't.
                              Well my council has and did. It was about 3-4 years ago the tenant was on the deposit bond scheme and also geting the first months rent in advance from the council. As you may know they come out to inspect the property if they are getting the bond and rent advance.

It was either put a cooker in or they wouldnt approve the benefit claim for that person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
                                Gordonmrln
                                I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                                20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                leaseholder64
                                I wasn't aware that the identity of council tax payers was a public record. You might be able to get a statement that it wasn't you. without breaching the Data Protection Act.
                                23-07-2017, 23:27 PM
                              • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                JP23
                                Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                                23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                jjlandlord
                                I'd hope so! They run a business after all....
                                23-07-2017, 22:32 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                KTC
                                The main problem I have for the charge being passed on is that often times (esp. through agents) the charge is actually considerably more than the protection fee they pay the schemes. It's been used as another way for agents (or landlords) to make money.
                                23-07-2017, 22:29 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                Wright76
                                Your still confusing your own council tax liability at your current address with that of the rental property.

If no-one was registered as living there then you would have been billed as landlord. The fact that you haven't been indicates that they are aware of who was tenant. ASK THEM FOR...
                                23-07-2017, 22:18 PM
                                Wright76
                                To be fair lvkn yes the rent covers everything you state, but the 48 pound charge Is your choice and is avoidable.

You choose to use an insurance based scheme and hold the tenants money collecting interest. How is it fair to force that charge on your tenant each time?

With...
                                23-07-2017, 22:06 PM
                                Lvkn
                                Hello
                                i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
                                23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
                              • Excessive estate agent fees
                                Cml241
                                I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                                21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                              • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                                Wright76
                                If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
                                23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                              Working...
                              X