Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of Tenancy Deposit Scheme Details

This is just a thought for the future.

When sending out Tenancy Deposit Details including the terms and conditions of the scheme - I use the method of posting via post office and obtaining cert of posting.

My TDS paperwork which I download from the TDS site, requires the tenant to sign the paperwork.

What happens if you can't get the tenant to sign? My last tenant just wouldn't co-operate - he ended up asking me to evict him and then I said, I couldn't go through the process until he signed the TDS document. Because he wanted something - he signed the form.

I can't see any legal comeback so long as I know everything has been deposited correctly and the tenants have received all the required information. Am I wrong?

Many thanks

Although there is space for T signature it is not obligatory. All you need to prove is that you sent it (free proof of postage from two post offices will cover it).
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Yes, that's what I thought. I certainly won't stress myself out if tenants don't sign and return.

Many thanks

Comment

It is an anomally. You have to make sure the tenant has he chance to sign it. They don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post

My TDS paperwork which I download from the TDS site, requires the tenant to sign the paperwork.

What happens if you can't get the tenant to sign? My last tenant just wouldn't co-operate
          This is what it says in the statute about the prescribed information - it must contain confirmation that the landlord

"has given the tenant the opportunity to sign any document containing the information provided by the landlord under this article by way of confirmation that the information is accurate to the best of his knowledge and belief."

Just the opportunity, nothing more.

See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...article/2/made

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to include stamped addressed envelope.

PANIC BUY STAMPS!

LOL sorry, couldn't resist!
            I'm a good tenant with great landlords
            I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
              This is just a thought for the future.
              When sending out Tenancy Deposit Details including the terms and conditions of the scheme - I use the method of posting via post office and obtaining cert of posting.
              [...]
              What happens if you can't get the tenant to sign? My last tenant just wouldn't co-operate - he ended up asking me to evict him and then I said, I couldn't go through the process until he signed the TDS document. Because he wanted something - he signed the form.
              But when are you asking them to sign the documents? You're supposed to do it immediately after the start of the tenancy - and one would hope that at that point at least, relationships are still reasonably good and the tenant will have no problem in signing the documents as requested.

However - here's my "thought for the future"... following a suggestion on this forum, I now get the tenants to sign the Prescribed Information in the property, at the time (normally) when they are handing over their cash representing the first month's rent and the deposit, in return for the keys and a signed agreement. I give them a receipt, we do the inventory, both of us sign that and the PI. I then take the cash to the bank, and then action the transfer to TDS, and that's it - job done.

There's nothing (that I can see) to say that the PI has to be handed over only after the deposit has been protected; and it certainly makes life much easier for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                There's nothing (that I can see) to say that the PI has to be handed over only after the deposit has been protected; and it certainly makes life much easier for all.
                With My Deposits the deposit protection certificate (which has a unique number) is generated when the landlord protects the deposit.

So until the deposit is protected there is no certificate to sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Perplexed View Post
                  With My Deposits the deposit protection certificate (which has a unique number) is generated when the landlord protects the deposit.

So until the deposit is protected there is no certificate to sign.
                  The MyDeposits certificate isn't part of the prescribed information.

These are the requirements:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...article/2/made

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post

I agree. There is nothing to say that the PI must be given after the deposit has been protected.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                      The MyDeposits certificate isn't part of the prescribed information.

These are the requirements:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...article/2/made
                      The mydeposits certificate itself isn't the prescribed information, but when you download the PDF it comes with a page 2, which is.
                      IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

But how do you prove you gave them the opportunity to sign?

Also, would an emailed copy of a PDF of the certificate (and PI) be adequate? Especially if followed by an email from the tenant confirming receipt?

grrr
                        IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr View Post
                          But how do you prove you gave them the opportunity to sign?
                          Are you referring to my method (ie providing the PI in person before the deposit is protected?

If so - well, they just do sign it - there's nothing to negotiate and no reason why they wouldn't want to sign: it's just part of the paperwork that's needed before they get the keys.

(Oh and just for clarification - I post the PI to the tenant in advance of moving-in/signing day, along with the tenancy agreement, so there's plenty of time for them to study both at their leisure before signing, and to avoid any possibility of related accusations in the future!)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
                            Gordonmrln
                            I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                            20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                          • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                            mariner
                            AFAIK LCS are just collection Agents for B Gas, not Bailiffs. They have to get B Gas approval for further action.
                            Did you/wife receive/request actual B Gas itemised Bill for disputed period?
                            Talk to B Gas Debt team.
                            You may have to provide evidence of identifiable start/end meter readings
                            27-07-2017, 03:48 AM
                          • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                            IoIo
                            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                            26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                          • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                            mariner
                            IOLO brownie points for providing required info upfront.
                            As LL, I normally pay for move in report and T for move out report.
                            Joint Ts are equally liable for 1 report.
                            2 ways seem avail to you-
                            1. Complete a move out condition report in first week of Aug and claim for any T damage...
                            26-07-2017, 23:23 PM
                          • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                            Gordonmrln
                            Dear wright76, I don't have a mental condition, but a learning disability I suffer with Dyslexia and have been psychologically tested and diagnosed with the Dyslexia condition. It seems that everything I've said or tried to do so far here is all negative and I'm doing everything wrong apart from sending...
                            26-07-2017, 23:01 PM
                          • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                            BouwensPB
                            I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                            26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                          • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                            AndrewDod
                            Quite. Explain how you managed to get this tenant in the first place - and via some shady outfit as well. Seems as if all eyes were off all balls....
                            26-07-2017, 22:56 PM
                          • S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                            BlueMystery
                            I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
                            26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
                          • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                            KTC
                            That ....
                            26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
                          • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                            Paul4321
                            Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
                            20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
                          Working...
                          X