Help with eviction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with eviction

Good Evening, this is my first post on this forum so please bear with me.

My wife and I have submitted a claim online to gain possession of the house we rent out. We became accidental Landlords so this arena is very new to us. Our hearing is on Wednesday and looking for some advice on what to take with us to court. Just to give you a bit of background. We are seeking possession based on rent arrears and served a section 8 notice before going to court.

We also don't really know what to expect and as you can imagine the whole process is very nerve racking, any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance

J

You will need a copy of the current tenancy agreement (for proof of tenancy address and rent amount)
    You should also take a rent statement showing what the tenant owes on that day.
    Make sure you know what the daily rate of rent is (the judge will need this for his order)
    You will need a copy of the section 8 notice
    You will need proof that the section 8 notice was served, and when
    Make sure you explain to the judge that the tenant needs to go ASAP because . . .

There are lots of tips on this thread (but make a cup of tea before you start) http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ulars-of-Claim

Comment

Thanks Snorkerz, I know its too late to change anything now, but I didn't need to send anything to the tenant or the courts beforehand did I? I gave all the requested info to court on the online forms..

What would you expect happen if the tenant doesn't attend the court hearing?

J

Comment

I have heard mixed opinions on this, but the reality is that no one at the court is going to look at it before the hearing, so don't worry too much there. I haven't read the link I gave (tonight) but I think there is a discussion about it in there.

If the tenant doesn't attend then the judge can only ask for your version of events. Even on the skimpiest of grounds, you are likely to be granted possession if the T does not defend the claim.

Incidentally, whilst it is right not to be over-confident and to be respectful in court, this is not something to be intimidated over. You are not an infant in front of the headmaster! The judge will listen to the facts and make a decision. If he refuses your claim, he will tell you and tell you why, but there won't be a flash of lightening striking you from above. You will be treated like an adult.

In case you are wondering, 'Sir' or 'Madam' is the correct address for a District Judge.

Comment

Snorkerz, thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X