Fire Alarms and Emergency lighting.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fire Alarms and Emergency lighting.

    What are the legal requirments for Fire alarms (fire safety) and Emergency Lighting for HMO Licensing.

    The property is a 4-6 bedroom house arranged on only two floors. My council is enforcing the additional licensing scheme however on the website it is very vague on exatly what is and what is not required.

    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    HMOs must be fit for the number of people living there and, as such HMOs should have an adequate means of escape from fire and other adequate fire precautions, e.g. smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and escape route lighting. Unfortunately, the guidelines only state that means of escape from fire should be 'adequate' and don't mention how many there should be.

    You will find that this can be satisfied by a risk asessment, for lighting the escape route, and ensuring high risk areas such as kitchens and the escape route itself are monitored. Your local authority or local approved contractor should be able to help you on this. Emergency lighting isdesigned (by us anyway) to comply with BS5266 (document), which requires signage too.

    Hope this helps

    Elektratek Ltd.

    For information only. No responsability is taken for any actions performed by use of this posted message.


    Latest Activity


    • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
      by Moderator2

      Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

      Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
      1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
      18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
    • Tenant references are a joke.
      by Hooper
      I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

      I got two replies two days apart.

      The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
      17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
    • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
      by jpkeates
      The underlay is the key.
      At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
      18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
    • Typical lifetime of carpets
      by davett
      I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
      17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
    • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
      by jpucng62
      Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
      18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
    • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
      by jpkeates
      There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
      The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
      If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
      18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
    • MCOL & PCOL
      by OS7
      Hello Everyone,

      Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
      04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
    • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
      by AndrewDod
      Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

      Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
      18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
    • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
      by Hooper
      Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
      18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
    • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
      by Hooper
      With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
      18-09-2021, 12:10 PM