can I get out of a bad deal before it's signed by co-tenant?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    can I get out of a bad deal before it's signed by co-tenant?

    Hi, I am a little dupe who signed a contract for a surprisingly cheap one bedroom flat to share with my boyfriend once his company transfers him to London (tomorrow). I viewed a bright quiet place two weeks ago on Saturday, met the landlady and it all seemed a bit shabby but good for its price. Two weeks later upon signing my contract I found out that she is not the landlord - she is sub-renting. The landlord owns the pub downstairs. What pub?, I asked. When I viewed I was not told there was a pub downstairs, I did not see it because we entered through a side gate and there was no noise at all as it was 11 am on Saturday. I just moved in and spent my first Saturday above the pub agonizing - the noise level is impossible. I am a student writing a thesis and I cannot risk my nerves and my work by staying here.
    My boyfriend has not signed the contract yet. I already signed and paid a security deposit and one month's rent. The contract is for 6 months. Can I leave right now? What will I have to pay?

    You (the tenant)have signed the AST and moved in (stayed the night) As such you are bound by the AST and resp for property & rent until the fixed term ends.
    You could try & negotiate an early release with LL. She is under no obligation to do so or is entitled to compensation eg cash settlement, say x months rent(max 6) or re-advertising costs and rent until suitable new T can move in.

    Boyfriend does not have to sign the AST, unless he wants to be joint & severally liable.
    Try and negotiate a settlement with LL.
    Rent in haste, repent at leisure. Harsh, but LLs are entitled to some min security as well as Ts!


      Your boyfriend shouldn't sign and you should argue it was the intention of the parties that no-one be bound until everyone had signed the agreement. Back that up with a misrepresentation argument - that the landlord didn't tell you she was sub-letting or that the property was above a flat. These arguments may not be successful and in the worst case scenario you can be taken to court to pay six months' rent. However, I would expect that you can come to some arrangement with the landlord to pay a lesser sum. Your opening position should probably be one months' rent and negotiate from there.

      The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.


        Very difficult to get out of this I think. The fact your boyfriend has not signed may help, but the snag is that you have signed a contract, paid rent and a deposit and moved in. Once you are in and have paid rent there is a tenancy. A short term tenancy does not need to be in writing.

        There will be no misrepresentation unless you were told there was no pub below or that it was a quiet flat.


          divanova - I would hazard a quess that you are not as old as I am, If it's any consolation I had a similar experience many years ago (when I was your age)and it has been etched on my brain ever since!!! I am not qualified to talk about the legalities but from the posts above I would say you don't have much choice. It sounds silly but can you negate the noise effect?? I use ear defenders in my workshop, you can get some that receive radio so you could listen to some nice relaxing Schurbert or Dvorak while studying. Since the rent is low perhaps some extra thick curtains might help. Just a few thoughts but I expect you'll tell me the walls actually vibrate with the noise :roll: not a lot you can do about that, but six months is a (relatively) short time frame.


            I have to say, that it seems a little bit 'bad faith' that the viewing was held while the pub was shut.
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.


              It was also ill=advised not to check out the locality before signing any docs. I guess the boyfriend would have spotted the pub pretty quick.


              Latest Activity


              • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                by Renterthedragon
                I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

                I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

                Approaching the end...
                18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
              • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by ash72
                I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

                Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
              • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by flyingfreehold
                Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hooper
                I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
              • Single parent renting
                by Dct
                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hudson01
                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Hudson01
                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Forgetmeknot
                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Reply to Let a house to local council
                by ram
                If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

                It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
              • Let a house to local council
                by r3drum

                Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

                Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                20-11-2019, 11:58 AM