can I get out of a bad deal before it's signed by co-tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can I get out of a bad deal before it's signed by co-tenant?

Hi, I am a little dupe who signed a contract for a surprisingly cheap one bedroom flat to share with my boyfriend once his company transfers him to London (tomorrow). I viewed a bright quiet place two weeks ago on Saturday, met the landlady and it all seemed a bit shabby but good for its price. Two weeks later upon signing my contract I found out that she is not the landlord - she is sub-renting. The landlord owns the pub downstairs. What pub?, I asked. When I viewed I was not told there was a pub downstairs, I did not see it because we entered through a side gate and there was no noise at all as it was 11 am on Saturday. I just moved in and spent my first Saturday above the pub agonizing - the noise level is impossible. I am a student writing a thesis and I cannot risk my nerves and my work by staying here.
    My boyfriend has not signed the contract yet. I already signed and paid a security deposit and one month's rent. The contract is for 6 months. Can I leave right now? What will I have to pay?

You (the tenant)have signed the AST and moved in (stayed the night) As such you are bound by the AST and resp for property & rent until the fixed term ends.
    You could try & negotiate an early release with LL. She is under no obligation to do so or is entitled to compensation eg cash settlement, say x months rent(max 6) or re-advertising costs and rent until suitable new T can move in.

Boyfriend does not have to sign the AST, unless he wants to be joint & severally liable.
    Try and negotiate a settlement with LL.
    Rent in haste, repent at leisure. Harsh, but LLs are entitled to some min security as well as Ts!

Comment

Your boyfriend shouldn't sign and you should argue it was the intention of the parties that no-one be bound until everyone had signed the agreement. Back that up with a misrepresentation argument - that the landlord didn't tell you she was sub-letting or that the property was above a flat. These arguments may not be successful and in the worst case scenario you can be taken to court to pay six months' rent. However, I would expect that you can come to some arrangement with the landlord to pay a lesser sum. Your opening position should probably be one months' rent and negotiate from there.
      Disclaimer:

The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Comment

Very difficult to get out of this I think. The fact your boyfriend has not signed may help, but the snag is that you have signed a contract, paid rent and a deposit and moved in. Once you are in and have paid rent there is a tenancy. A short term tenancy does not need to be in writing.

There will be no misrepresentation unless you were told there was no pub below or that it was a quiet flat.

Comment

divanova - I would hazard a quess that you are not as old as I am, If it's any consolation I had a similar experience many years ago (when I was your age)and it has been etched on my brain ever since!!! I am not qualified to talk about the legalities but from the posts above I would say you don't have much choice. It sounds silly but can you negate the noise effect?? I use ear defenders in my workshop, you can get some that receive radio so you could listen to some nice relaxing Schurbert or Dvorak while studying. Since the rent is low perhaps some extra thick curtains might help. Just a few thoughts but I expect you'll tell me the walls actually vibrate with the noise :roll: not a lot you can do about that, but six months is a (relatively) short time frame.

Comment

I have to say, that it seems a little bit 'bad faith' that the viewing was held while the pub was shut.
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

It was also ill=advised not to check out the locality before signing any docs. I guess the boyfriend would have spotted the pub pretty quick.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
                by Landyman
                Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
                16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
              • Flat rental bathroom query
                by NewGuyOne
                Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
                16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
              • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                by axil23
                Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
                16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
              • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                by axil23
                I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
                13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
              • surrender of lease charges
                by jshire
                Hi,
                I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
                16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
              • Reply to Gas certificate fail
                by MdeB
                But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
                16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
              • Gas certificate fail
                by ReginaPhalangi
                We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
                15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
              • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                by MdeB
                There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
                16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
              • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                by MdeB
                That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
                16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
              • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
                by steaming
                4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
                16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
              Working...
              X