Legality of SMS/Text messages as correspondence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legality of SMS/Text messages as correspondence.

Hi,

The T has finally left (with no forwarding address), and it looks like a claim through the court to get back the arrears.

I'm aware that as the mail is re-directed that any recorded mail will also be re-directed so intend to use that to serve claim.

I have the ability to download and convert to a spreadsheet all the text messages we have had, including acknowledgement of the debt.

How would this be regarded by the court.

Many thanks.

Hi Orchardpm

We took an exT to court for rent arrears and included a transcript of all her text messages, we are not sure if the judge looked at these but it will not hurt to include them, also your exT will see how thorough you are when you send them a copy of all the documents you will use at court.

Good luck

Mr/MrsLandlord

Comment

You will need proof that the court paperwork (and presumably your letter before action) has been served at the ex-tenants residential address. If you can't do that, then the tenant has a more than reasonable chance of being able to have any judgement set aside.

Either: Find the new address (tracing service) or apply to the court for permission to serve at the last known address (rental property).

Comment

Originally posted by Orchardpm View Post
        I'm aware that as the mail is re-directed that any recorded mail will also be re-directed so intend to use that to serve claim.
        Nobody with half a brain who's in debt is going to sign for anything as they'll know exactly what it will be...

I have the ability to download and convert to a spreadsheet all the text messages we have had, including acknowledgement of the debt.

How would this be regarded by the court.
        I've certainly included printouts of text messages as part of my witness statement in a successful court casew; the judge made no comment about their validity but on the other hand the tenant didn't show up to contest the claim, and the claim didn't rely on the text messages.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X