What constitutes a served notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What constitutes a served notice

We received a letter from the council - not directly but through the current occupants of a house which we have not lived in/owned for 7 years. One of our properties it seems is still showing the registered owners (us) as living at that address.

The letter was a notice demanding money for repairs which they had undertaken based on a notice which presumably they served to the same previous address.

What constitutes serving notice? Surely we would have had to sign the notice or when the Council post sometihng is that deemed to be notice served?

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Jessica

Nothing has to be signed for, or even received, for it to be deemed served.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

If you haven't kept the land registry records updated, you can not be suprised that the council are still writing to you at that address?

Do I presume this was works that the council had carried out themselves on one of your properties? Were these works done whilst you were the owner of the property? Where else would you have had them serve notice?

Comment

So who is the current owner of the property? What circumstances have led to you still being registered as the owner? Who is the current landlord? Who has been receving rent payments for the past 7 years? Sounds like somebody has had to resort to tracking down the current owner via Land Registry records. All sounds rather odd...

I would suggest as a first port of call it would be worth simply spending the 3 or 4 quid yourself on checking what the records actually do say, before you take things any further.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X