Tenant in arrears, can I refuse repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant in arrears, can I refuse repair?

My tenant is two months in arrears with his rent and I have served the relevant notices. However the cooker hob has now stopped working - Am I able to refuse this repair due to his arrears?

The short answer is 'NO'. You have to keep the premises in good repair or your Section 8 will fail (if that is what you have issued to get an order for possession).

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
      The short answer is 'NO'. You have to keep the premises in good repair or your Section 8 will fail (if that is what you have issued to get an order for possession).
      There is no statutory obligation for LL to repair a cooker.

If the contract does not specify that LL is responsible for repairing the cooker, then the short answer is yes, the LL may refuse to repair it.

Moreover, even if LL *is* contractually liable, the T would have to counterclaim for damages for the disrepair in order to have any prospect of defeating a s.8 application for possession on this basis. There is no automatic 'fail'.

Comment

I wouldn't tell the tenant that you are refusing to repair it because of the arrears.
        What relevant notices have you served?
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

This is from the CAB;
          http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...le_renting.htm

The landlord’s main responsibilities
          There are certain repairs which will almost always be your landlord’s responsibility, whether or not they are specifically mentioned in the tenancy agreement. These are:-

•the structure and exterior of the premises (such as walls, floors and window frames) and the drains, gutters and external pipes. If the property is a house, the essential means to access to it, such as steps from the street, are also included in ‘structure and exterior’. Garden paths and steps are also included
          •water and gas pipes and electrical wiring (including, for example, taps and sockets)
          •basins, sinks, baths and toilets
          •fixed heaters (for example, gas fires) and water heaters but not gas or electric cookers

Many years ago I had a property that was fully managed by a letting agent, due to me working overseas and uncontactable.
          The tenant got into financial difficulties and stopped paying the rent. Section 21 possession proceedings were started.

The element in the electric oven failed, an electrician made the appliance safe. The letting agent told the tenant the oven would only be repaired once the rent had been paid.

The tenant went to the council (TRO? EHO?) who then threatened the letting agent/me with legal action unless the oven was repaired.

The letting agent said they would not repair the oven as they had no statutory or contractural obligation to do so. The council backed down, alegedly after taking legal advice. The arrears were cleared and the oven repaired.

My understanding was that if an appliance is provided at the start of the tenancy, the landlord has a duty to repair/replace.

The letting agent was adamant they were legally correct.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
            The letting agent said they would not repair the oven as they had no statutory or contractural obligation to do so. The council backed down, alegedly after taking legal advice. The arrears were cleared and the oven repaired.

My understanding was that if an appliance is provided at the start of the tenancy, the landlord has a duty to repair/replace.

The letting agent was adamant they were legally correct.
            IMO, the letting agent was correct: Repairing an electric oven does not fall within the landlord's statutory obligations (as said in what you quoted from CAB). Then, if tenancy agreement was silent there was no contractual obligation either.

In any case, in your case it seems likely that council was bluffing.

Comment

offer them a microwave? Really cheap in the supermarkets now!
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hudson01
                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Single parent renting
                by Dct
                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Hudson01
                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Forgetmeknot
                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Reply to Let a house to local council
                by ram
                If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
              • Let a house to local council
                by r3drum
                Guys

Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by theartfullodger
                'phone Shelter 0808 800 4444 for advice.
                18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
              • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                by abimsalabim
                As I said in the original post, the deposit is NOT in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme but, instead is being held directly by the Agent....
                18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
              • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                by abimsalabim
                I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
              • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                by abimsalabim
                If the agent is refusing the mediate the dispute between the tenant and myself but, is instead asking me to go to court, what are my options in terms of penalising the agent? Apart from firing them, can I get compensation from them failing to provide their services?...
                18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
              Working...
              X