They ruined my beautiful cooker!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    They ruined my beautiful cooker!!

    Tenants just checked out after a tenancy that lasted nearly 3 years.

    Always paid their rent on time and had no other problems, BUT, I am really annoyed about the cooker.

    It was brand new when they moved in and now the white enamel is missing in places, and yellow and blistered where it is not missing.

    I suspect they used some very harsh substance to clean it and now they want to blame the cooker.

    As the tenancy started nearly 3 years ago I probably cannot claim for a new cooker, but I will have to pay for one in order to replace it.

    What now?

    #2
    Did you have an inventory/condition report carried out when the T first moved in?

    Comment


      #3
      I prepared a very detailed inventory with photos, which was signed by the tenants and myself, and each page was also initialled by the tenants.

      The inventory clearly states the cooker was 'brand new'.

      But as the tenancy started nearly 3 years ago they could argue the cooker would not be new today.

      Still, cookers can last many years with a modicum of care, and it will not be cheap to replace that one as they are now £400.

      Comment


        #4
        With proper care a cooker will not change its appearance very much over a period of 10 years or more. I agree that once it is chipped and discoloured it will devalue not only the kitchen but it will reduce the rental value of the whole property.
        You have to replace it.
        If you equate the 3 years rental with 30% of the cookers life - albeit the best 30% since the cooker was new - you would be justified, in my opinion, in taking at least £120 (but could be justifiably up to £200) from the deposit

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by johnjw View Post
          With proper care a cooker will not change its appearance very much over a period of 10 years or more. I agree that once it is chipped and discoloured it will devalue not only the kitchen but it will reduce the rental value of the whole property.
          You have to replace it.
          If you equate the 3 years rental with 30% of the cookers life - albeit the best 30% since the cooker was new - you would be justified, in my opinion, in taking at least £120 (but could be justifiably up to £200) from the deposit
          Surely if the tenant has reduced the cooker's life by 70%, O/P should deduct 70% of the cost of a new one?
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            Surely if the tenant has reduced the cooker's life by 70%, O/P should deduct 70% of the cost of a new one?
            I think it's difficult to assess the reduction in the cooker's 'life' since damages seem mostly cosmetic.

            Comment


              #7
              If I had tenants had been fine for 3 years apart from a £400 cooker, I would be ecstatic.
              It does semm that you didn't inspect the property to see how they treated your property.
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                I think it's difficult to assess the reduction in the cooker's 'life' since damages seem mostly cosmetic.
                Hmm, but isn't that the case with most of the damage that tenants do? It's not as if a carpet is unable to be walked on even if it's stained and filthy.
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Were regular 3 monthly inspections carried out ?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I did not inspect the property as such, although I visited a few times over maintenance issues. The tenants always kept the kitchen door shut - now I know why!

                    In any event, the damage was not caused by my not inspecting the kitchen but by the tenants grossly mistreating the cooker.

                    BTW, I have just spoken to the deposit protection scheme, who have advised me to make the deduction in full.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I would agree with The Saint!!

                      It would seem from your messages that you have taken this to heart. I would be very surprised if the DPS adjudicator awarded you the full amount irrespective of what the DPS are telling you over the phone.

                      The amount of time, stress and hassle you have had and will endure will outweigh any financial compensation you may receive!!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Petetong View Post

                        The amount of time, stress and hassle you have had and will endure will outweigh any financial compensation you may receive!!
                        Sad but true Pete. Don't let it deter you from trying though O/P. It only goes to the adjudicator if the tenant does not agree your deductions.
                        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Petetong View Post
                          I would agree with The Saint!!

                          It would seem from your messages that you have taken this to heart. I would be very surprised if the DPS adjudicator awarded you the full amount irrespective of what the DPS are telling you over the phone.

                          The amount of time, stress and hassle you have had and will endure will outweigh any financial compensation you may receive!!
                          I have ordered a cheaper cooker than the one the tenants ruined.

                          If they dispute the deduction I can show that I am not better off with the new cooker, and that if I had ordered a straight replacement it would have cost the tenants more.

                          I fail to see how the tenants could argue I was not to deduct the cost of replacing the cooker they destroyed, when the deposit is clearly for dilapidations.

                          Also worth noting that they kept very quiet about the cooker during the tenancy, probably because the tenancy agreement says I can charge for things like that during the tenancy.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                            Sad but true Pete. Don't let it deter you from trying though O/P. It only goes to the adjudicator if the tenant does not agree your deductions.
                            As I mentioned in my previous post, I have ordered a cheaper one. It really annoys me though, and it just does not seem fair that the next tenants should get a cheaper cooker because of the carelessness of the outgoing tenants.

                            And you are quite right, of course: they would first of all have to challenge the deduction. What are they going to say, that the enamel self-distructed?

                            Comment

                            Latest Activity

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X