Data Protection Dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Protection Dilemma

We are getting letters from a debt collecting agency, but the name on the letters has never lived in that property, however the first name is the same but spelt differently and the surname is very similar to our last T (who we succesfully sued for rent arrears) also the letters are addressed to a Mrs and she was Miss.
    We are positive that this is the same person, can we tell the debt company we believe that the person they are looking for has given them a slightly different name and also can we pass on her new address without fear from breaking any laws i.e. the Data Protection Act.

Thanks

Mr/MrsLandlord

To be honest, the safest thing to tell them is that Mrs blah blah has never lived at that address and that the current tenant has a totally different name (don't say what it is) and moved in on xx/xx/xx.

That way, they will know that even if it is the same person, it is pointless writing to that address.

Comment

I disagree.

The more people who do nothing, puts up the prices due to unpaid invoices.

You are within your right to say, I don't know where they live, as I only moved
      in on such and such a date.

Me, I would say, the person you are looking for MAY be at xxx address, please
      confirm by the council records. If no joy there, their letting agent was xyz.

WHY should they not pay ? so give them the address, and if it's not them,
      they have nothing to fear.

R.a.M.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
        I disagree.

The more people who do nothing, puts up the prices due to unpaid invoices.

You are within your right to say, I don't know where they live, as I only moved
        in on such and such a date.

Me, I would say, the person you are looking for MAY be at xxx address, please
        confirm by the council records. If no joy there, their letting agent was xyz.

WHY should they not pay ? so give them the address, and if it's not them,
        they have nothing to fear.

R.a.M.
        The utility companies will find them - they have their own tracing agents (departments). If the tenants debt to the utility company is enforceable, the tenant will be made to pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          Jcg76
          I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
          Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
          24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          Jcg76
          Thanks for the above info, especially the 20-30% info, I wanted to get an idea of the standard/reasonable amount.
          He does have permission, but we were not informed, although our lease stipulates that we cannot object to any of his building works. SO not a lot I can do about that.
          Can anyone...
          25-07-2017, 20:24 PM
        • Tenant application form
          Elum
          Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
          25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
        • Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
          aciduzzo
          I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
          25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
        • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
          aciduzzo
          I've used landlordreferencing.co.uk for the referencing and RGI. They seem to think it's standard to ask the guarantors to guarantee the full amount. They weren't even sure whether they could provide RGI if the guarantors are only liable for 1/3 rent. So i have asked them to check with the underwriter...
          25-07-2017, 18:19 PM
        • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          Pb21
          Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
          25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          leaseholder64
          It is typically a condition of insurance that there be secure, morticed deadlock, at least for contents insurance....
          25-07-2017, 17:09 PM
        • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
          scooter08
          Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
          I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
          25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
        • Reply to AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
          scooter08
          I hear you Wright76 we're stressed out as well. We have 3 kids all with additional needs so don't want any court action and definitely not bailiffs. My landlord doesn't understand why I'm being picky, with the needs my kids have they all need separate rooms. I haven't told the landlord this as it's...
          25-07-2017, 16:45 PM
        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          Pb21
          Thanks for your reply jpkeates, although just so I am clear and for the avoidance of doubt is your statement that as there has been damage while we were responsible for the property we are, consequently, responsible for the damage, your opinion or a fact?
          25-07-2017, 16:17 PM
        Working...
        X