Finding the ex-tennant for MCOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding the ex-tennant for MCOL

So after a long story, I had my ex-tennant evicted due to her being in arrears. I now have my property back, however the ex-tennant is, as expected, nowhere to be seen or found.

I would like to go down the MCOL route, however the only details I have of the tennant is her Full Name, DOB, phone number and email address. Are there any legitimate routes I can go down to see where she is living at the moment?

Also, assuming I manage to submit a MCOL request, does that affect her credit rating?

Any help is appreciated.

You may apply to the court for permission to serve on the tenant at their last known address (tenancy address?). This is Civil Procedure Rule 6.15 and there may be a fee for such an application. You will need to tell the court what actions you have taken to find the tenant - If you engage a tracing service that can't find them, I guess that would be deemed sufficient. There are various tracing agencies - findermonkey charge £50 no find no fee.

Submitting a claim to MCOL will not affect her crdit rating. Obtaining a county court judgement (CCJ) will.

Comment

Is this the tenant that scarpered abroad and had over-paid the water bill or the benefits tenant ?
      I'm a good tenant with great landlords
      I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

thanks guys. i will read into CCJ i think.

Brb, this is the benefits tennant. i called the housing benefits so see if they could help in anyway, they said all they can do is note her down in their own councils system and if she claims for benefits again at that council, they will pay rent direct to the landlord, instead of via herself.

however, if she goes to another council, there is nothing that can be done.

Comment

If the tenant is on benefits you should sue, as it is not right that tenants think they can get away with it - it will serve as a warning to other landlords (and potential creditors) that this person does not pay what they should, when they should.

However, your chances of getting a worthwhile financial reward from a person on benefits is (shall we say) limited. Only you can decide if it is worth the cost and time/effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            If the tenant is on benefits you should sue, as it is not right that tenants think they can get away with it - it will serve as a warning to other landlords (and potential creditors) that this person does not pay what they should, when they should.

However, your chances of getting a worthwhile financial reward from a person on benefits is (shall we say) limited. Only you can decide if it is worth the cost and time/effort.
            sorry i should have added, for part of the arrears she was not claiming benefit as the housing asked her to confrim her income. she didn't so they stopped paying her benefits, in turn i had no rent. she then went back to the housing and confirmed her income (not backdated though) so i then got a months rent. after that month, the eviction notice came through. Its disappointing how a tennant on benefits can so easily get away with it.

she probably owes me around £4k in total. i'm not sure if a CCJ will get her to pay up, however if anything it will make me feel better and that i've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by rtid View Post
              she probably owes me around £4k in total. i'm not sure if a CCJ will get her to pay up, however if anything it will make me feel better and that i've tried.
              Perfectly valid attitude.

Expect the court to agre she repays at around £3 a week (depending on other commitments) so if you can keep tabs on her for the next 25 years you may get your money back.

Comment

I'm just sorry that you won't get your money as due, it's doubtful that she'll cough up now.

I always feel like I have to apologise for these pond dwellers (I've been on benefits and still get some LHA help). It's just wrong as someone that has privately rented the majority of my adult life I have never missed a payment nor lost a penny in deposit.

I imagine you will want to skip renting to benefit claimants in the future but if you do then please ask the knowledgeable bods here about a properly drafted guarantor agreement and other signs to look out for/checks to do.
                I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

fed up with tenants getting away with debt

Like you I have evicted a tenant none payment of rent ,damage and upsetting all the neighbours.It took a cleaning team 3 days to clear the mess and I mean mess out dirty cloths rubbish etc cat mess and much more.i got a court order and they took it to the last day left the windows open and keys on the floor.Moved into another property so must have found rent and bond fron somewhere running their own business.Would not answer court papers on ccj so I have paid a debt collection agency I will not have word going round I let them off.Is it cant pay or wont.Soap and water to leave a clean property costs nothing but it may have helped in accepting a debt that they cannot pay.If all landlords are expected just to accept the bad ones dont pay it is unfair to those many families who are hard up but try their best .one rotten apple spoils the barrel.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Winter of Unpaid Bills
                    by theartfullodger
                    Today's Times main cartoon (after Raymond Briggs)..
                    11-08-2022, 07:35 AM
                  • Winter of Unpaid Bills
                    by jpucng62
                    Does anyone think their tenants are ready for the huge rises in energy bills this winter? Given that unit prices are expected to more than double from where we are now (and that is a big rise already) does anyone think tenants really have a grasp on this?

With mortgage rates going up fast...
                    10-08-2022, 10:50 AM
                    by JBJ01
                    While many on here worked their socks off for years during the day and then evenings and weekends putting their money into property, many others decided to live for the day and have total disregard for the future and what it may bring.

Heading off to graft on house renovations in the afternoon,...
                    11-08-2022, 05:17 AM
                    by SouthernDave
                    Good point...
                    10-08-2022, 19:09 PM
                    by DPT57
                    I'm more concerned at the possibility of a winter of unheated rental properties and then the tenants expecting me to deal with the resultant mold.
                    10-08-2022, 19:04 PM
                  • Reply to Dps deposit
                    by Codger
                    I think the deposit of five weeks rent is more trouble than its worth. Not taking deposits means being a bit more selective in choosing tenants.
                    Considering the value of the asset the tenants are trusted with the deposit rules are crazy. But thats only one of the red tape obstacles to being a...
                    10-08-2022, 18:22 PM
                  • Dps deposit
                    by Jm1972
                    Hi All,

i would be grateful if I could get some help please.

I got an estate agents to find me a tenant and do all the paperwork and get proof of service for everything, tenant moved in and paid deposit just over a week ago.

The estate agents took the deposit from...
                    08-08-2022, 22:40 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    The daft thing is that because people will owe them the money, it won't even affect the energy company profits.
                    10-08-2022, 16:52 PM
                  • Reply to Dps deposit
                    by jpkeates
                    Looking after a significant amount of someone else's money is not a trivial undertaking.

I spent most of my career designing and building business solutions to replace manual processes.
                    So I have a reasonable idea of what's possible.

There's nothing in it but downside...
                    10-08-2022, 16:50 PM
                    by Hudson01
                    As said the idea of simply not paying is in the realms of crazy. They can get a warrant and fit a pre-payment meter to the house without your consent, i understand they will not be able to do this with everyone but the message will soon go out if they target the 1st few thousand, and as said your credit...
                    10-08-2022, 16:47 PM
                  Working...
                  X