Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just moved in - TV aerial is disconnected

Hi there,

I moved into a rented property on Friday with my family. When we viewed the property, it looked like we would be able to connect up our TV without any problems as there were coaxials in the living room and both bedrooms. However, on connecting up our television today we found no signal was being received. My husband had a look outside and the aerial has been cut at the dish.

I don't know if this was done due to previous tenants not paying bills and I don't yet know if our landlord was even aware (it wasn't mentioned during the viewing) but in this instance, where do we stand? Do we have to pay to reconnect or should an aerial be provided for the property?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Unless the dish is mentioned in property description, AST or Inventory, then poss LL not responsible. Quite often Ts have them installed without LL permission and removing them could cause structural damage.
    If there is a terrestrial (rooftop) aeriel then LL is prob liable for it to co-ax plug at TV end. Sat dish is likely to be Sky not FreeSat so T likely to require subscription. Is there a terr aeriel? Have you located the sep co-ax cable from it? A TV aeriel does not have to be provided if one is not mentioned in the particulars of property (ad etc)

Comment

I think a tenant would have a right to expect a standard aerial but certainly not satellite. As above, it depends what you were promised
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

There is no statutory responsibility for the landlord to provide an aerial (working or otherwise).

If you had asked 'does the aerial work' then your position would have been stronger on a contractual level in the same manner as when buying.

What does the landlord say?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          I think a tenant would have a right to expect a standard aerial but certainly not satellite.
          Morally I agree with you but legally I don't believe a LL has to provide any form of receiving a TV signal.

Speaking as a T it's blooming annoying when you move in and find it doesn't work. Have missed the opening weeks of big brother twice because aeriel has been up the spout.
          I'm a good tenant with great landlords
          I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

No I do agree - not a legal requirement but I could not rent out a house without a working aerial - However if they miss Big Brother I may be doing them a favour

Comment

No I do agree - not a legal requirement but I could not rent out a house without a working aerial - However if they miss Big Brother I may be doing them a favour (deleted your smiley so I could use one)
              LMAO - I knew I would get a bit of teasing about BB

The care home I work for do not like the idea of residents watching TV so the building (which won an award this year) only specifically had one TV room built (the "cinema"). What they failed to realise is that some of (ie majority) enjoy TV on a regular basis so the lounges have had to have TVs installed on each floor. Not all have TVs in their rooms though).

Comment

How could they think that the residents would not want to watch telly - there would be riots when they disagreed over Corrie or Eastenders!

Comment

How could they think that the residents would not want to watch telly - there would be riots when they disagreed over Corrie or Eastenders!
                  It's a reaction really to society slating care homes for parking residents in front of TVs all day long. There are some that don't like TV so we have lounges for music and other activities so they can make a choice.

Comment

That sounds great - there are so many times when it is good to escape the telly!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I have spoken to the letting agent and they are going to speak to the landlord and get back to me although nothing as yet. It seems to be a bit of a grey area. I remember when we went to view the property that the agent mentioned the satellite dish so we just assumed that the aerial would be connected. All the coaxial wires were in place in the living room and bedrooms. As we are new to renting, we didn't even think to ask about the aerial!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X