Tenancy cancellation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy cancellation

I have signed a 6 months contract a few weeks ago "Assured shorthold tenancy agreement under part 1 of the housing act 1988". I have paid to the landlord 2 months up front rent and no deposit,because he said that he doesn't need one. I just found out that after those two months i will not be able to afford that much money for my rent, because of my student grant circumstances. Is there any way to cancel the contract? There is a notice on my obligations which says "The tenant must their notice 4 weeks prior leaving in writing.( The deposit will be not adjusted in the last months rent".

Is there any way to cancel the contract? NO, you & LL have signed a binding AST for 6 months fixed term. However:
    Contact your LL, ask for face to face meeting, explain your predicament ie what your student grant is, and try to negotiate a mutually acceptable surrender in 1+ month time. LL is entitled to hold you resp for remainder of 6 months rent. If you were to find an acceptable replacement, your liability should cease when replacement moves in, subject to correct paperwork being signed.

Comment

Have you moved into the property yet?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X