7 days to return check out inspection or forfeit deposit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 days to return check out inspection or forfeit deposit?

Hi,

I've recently moved out of a property and I completed a checking out list. I'm losing about £20 of my deposit which is fair and I agree with the inventory and schedule of condition. I'm about to sign and return it but I noticed this clause at the bottom:

'Please note that due to goverment legislation your deposit will not be returned unless this inventory is checked, signed and returned to us within 7 days of receipt.'

Now this isn't a problem this time as I've got 5 days from the date of the letter still and I can return it recorded tomorrow. However I was wondering, does this hold true with all deposits? is there that tight a deadline for you to return your check out deadline and if so do the normal postal rules apply (served 2 days after sent by first class post)?

It just seems open to abuse to me.

Thanks all.

This is utter and complete rubbish.
    You are not required to sign the check out inventory, even less return it within 7 days.

The requirement is for the landlord to either return your deposit promptly in full or to propose deductions, which he must be able to justify.

Comment

Sounds like a ploy to pressure T into accepting deductions under the fear of losing the rest!
      I'm a good tenant with great landlords
      I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
        by lordluvus
        By all accounts, just reading on here, many landlords ARE leaving the sector especially with the EPC must be "C" rating, just added to the many hoops to jump through. Favourable rights to tenants on the increase defending a "dont pay if you dont want to" attitude pushed by Shelter...
        15-08-2022, 10:07 AM
      • Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
        by lordluvus
        The girl works in HM service with good ref and actually always paid her half, her dopey partner, was newly self employed and has a guarantor. (family member). Tenant got pregnant but has always paid her half, if sometimes late. Now they have a 1 yr old baby boy. This month she has paid 60% but the rest...
        14-08-2022, 19:36 PM
      • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
        by bob369
        The central heating is included in the rent.

I would not include any utilities for a single let, much simpler.

If you have converted without Building Control approval, you have skipped some major costs (to your benefit), whilst sacrificing Fire Safety, Energy Performance, Sound...
        15-08-2022, 10:06 AM
      • Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
        by patray
        I am trying to work out the best way to recoup some of the increase in the cost of the gas given that we can only put up the rent once a year but the cost is going to be increased in October and probably every 3 months.

It's not possible to forsee how much prices will rise or what help...
        14-08-2022, 14:03 PM
        by jpkeates
        As long as the payment is for utilities (electricity, gas or other fuel, or water or sewerage) and it's in the tenancy agreement as a mandatory payment, it's OK under the Tenant Fees Act....
        15-08-2022, 09:24 AM
      • Reply to Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
        by DoricPixie
        It’s not squatting and contrary to what NaomiB claims the section 21 she served did not require her tenant to leave 18th April. A Section 21 notice is notice that you might go to court to get a possession order not that the tenant must leave the property by the date on the notice.

As...
        15-08-2022, 09:18 AM
        by DPT57
        If you identify that payment separately, you fall foul of Tenant Fees Act and it become an administrative headache....
        15-08-2022, 08:55 AM
      • Reply to End of Tennancy
        by jpkeates
        Unless I've misunderstood, I think the agency is correct.
        They, and you, believe that the tenancy ended about a month after you handed the keys back, and the condition that matters is the condition at the end of the tenancy, not the condition when you handed the keys back.

If there...
        15-08-2022, 08:38 AM
      • End of Tennancy
        by nmatthewsx
        Hi,

My tenancy has just ended and I returned my keys to the agency over a month ago as I moved into my own home. The property was fully clean on leaving and I took pictures to show this.

The agency have now just done the check out and have said the property needs a clean as...
        13-08-2022, 13:12 PM
      • Reply to s8 and s21 notice periods for contractual periodic tenancy
        by jpkeates
        No, and this is a very good idea.

No, you could also serve a notice under s21(1). However, that distinction no longer matters because there's only one form of notice that's valid and it's notice under both sections.

That's a requirement of the section 21 notice. Technically,...
        15-08-2022, 08:23 AM
      Working...
      X