Check out - Tenant has engaged an inventory clerk who is her friend!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bhaal View Post
    I'm not quite sure why you feel in a position to deny the tenant the opportunity of producing evidence if they wish to. You may want to stack the cards in your favour but the tenant shouldn't have to let you and doesn't want to either.
    I havent denied the tenant at all, I have agreed to the inventory clerk being present. My initial question was whether it was usual and if the DPS would favour the tenant's inventory report over mine, as I had not engaged the inventory clerk. It appears that it is perfectly fin for her to arrange her own inventory clerk and that is what i wanted to check on!

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
      You can always engage your own ind inventory clerk to attend at same time.
      I think that is what I will do, thank you

Comment

Check out - Tenant has engaged an inventory clerk who is her friend!!

I posted previously as my tenant has told me she isnt coming to the checkout but has engaged an independant inventory clerk to be present in her place.

I have my own independent clerk doing the check out.

I have found out that the clerk the tenant has employed is actually her friend, which would mean she is complelety biased and not independant at all.

Should I confront her before the check out or is it better to use this against her after the check out has taken place? Will the fact that they are friends have any impact on the DPS when I am making my claim to the deposit deductions?

Comment

Originally posted by LJS77 View Post
          I have my own independent clerk doing the check out.
          Does it not occur to you that she may feel the same?

If they are both genuinely independent clerks then their results should roughly tally; if not, it will then become a matter of evidence to prove one or the other is correct.
          My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

I'm sure she does think like that, but if she was confident that she was leaving the propety in good condition she would not need to go to the extent she is.

Her clerk is her good friend and she has lied about it by denying that they know one another, that smacks of her trying to use her friend in her favour.

Comment

No matter how confident you are that you are leaving a property in good condition (or better) it is always a worry that a LL will attempt to keep your money.

Moderator please merge with LJS77's other thread (on same subject) http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...d-te-check-out

I fail to see the problem. If your IVC states staining on carpet and provides evidence there is then how could T's friend prove there isn't ? I really don't think an IVC would put their day job in jeopardy by providing an untruthful report.
              I'm a good tenant with great landlords
              I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

The property condition on check out is checked against that as recorded in the inventory. Any detractions from that condition are the points which need to be settled. The tenant has every right to have someone there on their behalf; doesn't matter whether its their milkman, a friend who is an IIC or a quantum physicist, all they are there to do is check the property with you.

You sound like you already have a list of deductions in mind; do you? if so its even more important that the tenant has a representative there to check it with you.

If the deposit or part of it goes to dispute, you will need to prove why you think you are right to make a deduction; you will need to provide evidence that the property is damaged/dirty/missing over and above fair wear and tear. If the tenant disagrees they will be given the opportunity to say why; this may include a check out report they have done themselves to provide evidence in support of their counter claim.

The existing inventory should be comprehensive enough for a complete stranger to go into the property and determine if there are any changes to the condition; if it isn't clear enough to be able to determine that, and private landlords inventories rarely are in my experience - then you will have learnt a valuable lesson. So I don't see anyway that the tenant could use their friend in their favour - there is either evidence that there is something amiss or there isn't.
                My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                  Moderator please merge with LJS77's other thread (on same subject) http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...d-te-check-out
                  Please use the 'report post' feature in future otherwise there's a chance I might miss requests such as yours posted within a thread.
                  I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
                    Please use the 'report post' feature in future otherwise there's a chance I might miss requests such as yours posted within a thread.
                    Sorry shall do so in future.
                    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                      Sorry shall do so in future.
                      No need for 'sorry', thanks for pointing it out.
                      I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by LJS77 View Post
                        I have found out that the clerk the tenant has employed is actually her friend
                        ?? But you told us that in your post #1!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X