What happens about mail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oaktree View Post
    So by your reckoning I could go out and rob a bank today but as long as no one ever reports it, its not a crime???.
    you may go and rob a bank if you wish, but I would not do that myself.

We are talking about opening letters that could stop your gas / electric for your
    next tenant.
    I say again, if you want your next tenant to have no gas and electric --
    in "some" cases, then that is your choice to put them in that situation .

Thread now removed from email notification.

R.a.M.

Comment

Many thanks all for your replies. I have never parted company with a tenant in such circumstances. I have little understanding why the should withhold their new address. Except perhaps because of the house cleaning bill which will be wending its way to them soon.

The tenant did appear to collect the mail on being told it was to be returned to sender.

Comment

Good result for you.
        My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Just a thought regarding the issue here of utility companies.

I thought the majority of these companies wanted to know the name of the Landlord so they know who to bill when the property is vacant. This being the case, the landlord should be able to contact said company to advise the tenant has left and hopefully find out if there are any problems.
          When next tenant moves in, he is told that there is a shortfall in the gas / electric and the wont supply as there are unpaid bills.
          I'm not saying this doesn't happen but I don't believe this is the norm. The shortfall is with the tenant who "did a runner" and a new tenant isn't liable.

Comment

All utility usage and bills are connected to people not buildings.

Unless the law has changed in recent years, AFAIK one errant/non-paying occupier of X property does stop any services from being provided to X property when a new occupier moves in (which may not be a tenant).

This being the case, all the back and forth about people's post and what to do with it that has been talked about in this thread is of no consequence and is irrelevant.
            Natural selection is a wonderful thing
            You shall know them by their fruit
            Saying "Never say never", says it

Comment

At the risk of inflaming the debate again (let's not) at least this thread is offering different advice/points of view with the pro's and con's.

Surely that's one of the benefits of the forum? I certainly appreciate the debate given I am very much still learning.

Comment

Personally, i would open the mail, contact the utility co and let them know that the person no longer lives at the address and if possible give them a forwarding address. If they want, you could then return the letter to sender.

We are not talking about someone deliberately sabotaging someones mail here, this is a case of helping out the supplier, helping out the tenant ie giving them the opportunity to pay the bill before costs escalate (they may not be aware that they owe money) and also taking any stress away from subsequent tenants who otherwise might start receiving bailiffs letters/calls.

Do you know that if an address is unreadable/wrong and there is no senders address on a package/envelope the Royal mail open the mail themselves?

That's my opinion based on the fact that when i have returned to sender i find that the letters and then the bailiffs keep coming!

Your choice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
                  by DoricPixie
                  It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                  28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
                • Renting rooms
                  by Luke
                  I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                  I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                  I do not intend to live at the property
                  Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                  As its...
                  28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
                • Reply to Renting rooms
                  by DoricPixie
                  I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                  28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
                • Reply to Renting rooms
                  by theartfullodger
                  Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                  28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
                • Reply to Renting rooms
                  by Hudson01
                  If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                  28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
                • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                  by jpkeates
                  That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                  The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                  28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
                • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                  by Piffy
                  I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                  27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                • Reply to Renting rooms
                  by DoricPixie
                  You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
                  28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
                • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                  by DoricPixie
                  I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
                  28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
                Working...
                X