What happens about mail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens about mail.

My tenant moved but have refused to give me a forwarding address. I have texted when I am in the house and said they can collect it but they refuse. I think they may be worried about what I may say about the filthy state the house has been left in.

What should I do with the mail? I have been told their new address by neighbours. But I have no official confirmation of this.

I am tempted to simply put them back into the post box as return to sender.

I agree - "return to sender"

Comment

Open and read before returning to sender.

(there are many on here that agree with me, and many posts on the matter ,
      so no need to argue again in this post )

Wost conditions =
      Tenant never paid for gas, electric, coucil tax
      May have applied for credit using landlords name, has credit cards for that address
      under landlords name
      ( if they check the landregistry, the landlords name will
      be on it )

So ( as I said , worst conditions )
      Any utility company when not getting answers, WILL visit the premises, will be
      sending letters to the "occupant" having removed the name of the tenant from
      the letters after 6 months.
      Your next tenant will have people knocking on his door demanding payment, and
      if payment not paid, could cut off gas and electric.
      Not very nice of the landlord to allow this to happen, and certainly not giving the tenant
      his legal right to "peace and enjoyment of the property"
      When next tenant moves in, he is told that there is a shortfall in the gas / electric and
      the wont supply as there are unpaid bills.

I had to feed a pre pay meter to pay off the debts of a last tenant, before I could
      electric to my flat ( Yes, I was paid back,) but it's not nice having no electric
      because the landlord sent back letters, un opened, that no further utilities will
      be provided due to none payment and did not tell me the flat was supplied with
      NO ELECTRIC.

At the worst, as stated, your new tenant will could be refused gas and electric
      unles he pays a hefty deposit, all of which the landlord will be unaware of, as he
      refused to open letters about his property.

Before someone pipes up saying " oh, you cant open letters, it's illegal")
      1) The ex tenant does not want the letters, there is no forwarding address, so
      ex tenant will not know he has letters, therefore cannot complain that you opened
      his letters, as he wont know he had any letters to open.

2) The post office wont complain, as the only person who knows the letters
      addressed to the ex tenant were opened, is the landlord, and he certainly wont
      be complaining to the post office about himself.

OPEN the letters and see what a mess your ex tenant has got you into.
      Tell the senders if he has gone away, they want to know.

R.a.M

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
        I agree - "return to sender"
        I agree too - "return to sender"
        Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

It is very tempting I do agree. I certainly have opened post for people whose name I do not even recognise. People see the property is empty and use the address. Most organisations are very happy that you tell them the name is false for that addy. I know just where you are coming from.

They have only moved a few doors up the same road, hence the ease with which they are to be found. Did they not realise that the neighbours who have been complaining bitterly about them for months would not notice where they had gone to?

They have a very rare name so the utility companies will not find them difficult to trace. In the past I did pay an electricity bill just to keep things running. Southern Electricity pinched the account in the name of a fictious person to give someone some commission and I found it impossible to transfer the account back without a payment. They were withholding reconnection for £8.33.

I have a good mind to put the utility bills through their letter box, and return the rest to senders.

Comment

Originally posted by citizenz View Post
            I have a good mind to put the utility bills through their letter box, and return the rest to senders.
            NO --

Do not put it through their letter box, as they will just ignor it.

You tell the utilities where they have moved to, and confirm that
            you have seen them there.
            Otherwise the bill wont get paid / court proceeding issued to to recover
            any monies will be to sent to your rented out property.

And the bills ( if any owning ) wont get paid, and all of us end up paying for
            the ones that don't pay, via higher utility bills.

we have had here, a woman crying on our doorstep, shaking, because she got
            a demand saying they would take the occupant to court for none payment
            of a gas bill ( from previous tenant, it transpired ) when she was up to date
            with payments.

Is that what you want to inflict on your next tenant ?
            if so, don't open the post, and don't tell the utility companies where the
            ex tenants have gone.
            If it were me, I would tell any landlord to stuff their propperty as they dont have
            a clue whats going on, and to inflict such distress and aggravation on me, shows
            a complete lack of care and consideration for their tenants, and am leaving.

Best of luck -- do the right thing.

R.a.M.

Comment

Open accidentally. Tell utilities new address. Return to sender any further mail. Knowledge is power
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Good grief, here we go again Interfering with someone elses mail is a criminal offence.

If its utility bills then send it back to the sender - with a covering letter saying you are the landlord and the tenants ahve gone, here are the readings etc, - and give the address you have been given.

Everything else return to sender.
                My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Originally posted by oaktree View Post
                  Interfering with someone elses mail is a criminal offence.
                  For ref for other people :-

refer to post 3 and 6.

A criminal offence is only criminal if some one knows about it, and those people
                  report you or the authorities see you ( such as speeding )

If there is no one to see you do a criminal act , there is no one to report you.
                  as no one in the world knows.

so
                  ex tenant will not know he has letters, therefore cannot complain that you
                  opened his letters, as he wont know he had any letters to open.

addressed to the ex tenant were opened, is the landlord, and he certainly
                  wont be complaining to the post office about himself.

so, can I rent your property, pay the first months rent, then pay nothing after
                  that, it will take you 6 months to legaly get me out, and by that time, I will have
                  paid for no gas electricty or council tax, got credit on your address.

Your address will be blacklisted as no payments were ever made, and the next
                  tenant or 5 will not be able to get credit, as the address is blacklisted.

If you do not open letters and sort out it out,
                  then you MUST tell the next tenant that you don't care what the last tenant
                  did,and the next tenant may not be able to get utilities unless he pays a hefty
                  sum in advance, and if he tries to get credit at that address, he may not get it.

As I said, that is the worst condition, but you must tell the next tenant the above
                  if you think that is a possibility, and give him the oportunity to decline renting
                  your property.

Look after your tenants, as well as your profits.

R.a.M.

Comment

Interfering with Her Majesty's mail is a criminal offence whether you are caught or not.

Once the mail is delivered, it no longer falls into that category - technically it is the property of the addressee, but the key thing is, it is no longer Her Majesty's Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                      For ref for other people :-

refer to post 3 and 6.

A criminal offence is only criminal if some one knows about it, and those people
                      report you or the authorities see you ( such as speeding )

If there is no one to see you do a criminal act , there is no one to report you.
                      as no one in the world knows.

so
                      ex tenant will not know he has letters, therefore cannot complain that you
                      opened his letters, as he wont know he had any letters to open.

addressed to the ex tenant were opened, is the landlord, and he certainly
                      wont be complaining to the post office about himself.

so, can I rent your property, pay the first months rent, then pay nothing after
                      that, it will take you 6 months to legaly get me out, and by that time, I will have
                      paid for no gas electricty or council tax, got credit on your address.

Your address will be blacklisted as no payments were ever made, and the next
                      tenant or 5 will not be able to get credit, as the address is blacklisted.

If you do not open letters and sort out it out,
                      then you MUST tell the next tenant that you don't care what the last tenant
                      did,and the next tenant may not be able to get utilities unless he pays a hefty
                      sum in advance, and if he tries to get credit at that address, he may not get it.

As I said, that is the worst condition, but you must tell the next tenant the above
                      if you think that is a possibility, and give him the oportunity to decline renting
                      your property.

Look after your tenants, as well as your profits.

R.a.M.
                      Well,we All know now and everyone else using the www

Open and read before returning to sender.

(there are many on here that agree with me, and many posts on the matter ,
                      so no need to argue again in this post )

Wost conditions =
                      Tenant never paid for gas, electric, coucil tax
                      May have applied for credit using landlords name, has credit cards for that address
                      under landlords name
                      ( if they check the landregistry, the landlords name will
                      be on it )

So ( as I said , worst conditions )
                      Any utility company when not getting answers, WILL visit the premises, will be
                      sending letters to the "occupant" having removed the name of the tenant from
                      the letters after 6 months.
                      Your next tenant will have people knocking on his door demanding payment, and
                      if payment not paid, could cut off gas and electric.
                      Not very nice of the landlord to allow this to happen, and certainly not giving the tenant
                      his legal right to "peace and enjoyment of the property"
                      When next tenant moves in, he is told that there is a shortfall in the gas / electric and
                      the wont supply as there are unpaid bills.

I had to feed a pre pay meter to pay off the debts of a last tenant, before I could
                      electric to my flat ( Yes, I was paid back,)
                      but it's not nice having no electric
                      because the landlord sent back letters, un opened, that no further utilities will
                      be provided due to none payment and did not tell me the flat was supplied with
                      NO ELECTRIC.

At the worst, as stated, your new tenant will could be refused gas and electric
                      unles he pays a hefty deposit, all of which the landlord will be unaware of, as he
                      refused to open letters about his property.

Before someone pipes up saying " oh, you cant open letters, it's illegal")
                      ex tenant will not know he has letters, therefore cannot complain that you opened
                      his letters, as he wont know he had any letters to open.

addressed to the ex tenant were opened, is the landlord, and he certainly wont
                      be complaining to the post office about himself.

OPEN the letters and see what a mess your ex tenant has got you into.
                      Tell the senders if he has gone away, they want to know.

R.a.M
                      So your a tenant opening post not addressed to you,you clearly did not have to pay the previous tenants debt off,more fool you using your money to pay some elses debt off..

Did you send them a copy of your TA,proving you where a new tenant so they could reset the pre payment meter...

Royal mail will tell you it's a Criminal offence interfering and opening post,parcels and so on,that are Not addressed to you.

Comment

QUOTE=45002 Well,we All know now and everyone else using the www

so what, they have no proof, and O.P. has admitted nothing, therefore it would
                        be malicious intent by the "www" when no proof is available.

QUOTE=45002 So your a tenant opening post not addressed to you,
                        No I am not, you are distorting the facts.

QUOTE=45002 you clearly did not have to pay the previous tenants debt off,
                        more fool you using your money to pay some elses debt off..

Read the thread, it says I was paid back.
                        You get into a flat, and there is no electric, and as many posts on here say ,
                        and do, the landlords say it's not their problem, get lost, I don't care if you have
                        no electric, contact the electric company,who then say, who the hell are you,
                        So i'm not going to sit with no electric for 3 weeks, while the sort it out.

QUOTE=45002 Royal mail will tell you it's a Criminal offence interfering and
                        opening post, parcels and so on,that are Not addressed to you.

Of course they will , but how the **** are you supposed to return to sender
                        unles you open to get the address to return to.
                        I put my address on the letter, NOT on the envelope.

But if you don't want to open letter that a person has said, I don't want them, as
                        I have not given you a forwarding adress, then if no reply, then be prepared to find
                        10 year down the line, you have a charge on the propery when you come to sell,
                        because you were stupid enough to ignor ANY letter sent to your property.

You come to sell you property, and by not opening letters, find 20 companies have
                        put £ 50000 charge against your peoperty, because all letters were returned to sender.

Up to you what you do, but if anyone does not give a dam about their next tenants
                        or their property, then don't open mail to be able to return to sender.

thanks.
                        R.a.M.

Comment

A criminal offence is only criminal if some one knows about it, and those people report you or the authorities see you ( such as speeding )

If there is no one to see you do a criminal act , there is no one to report you as no one in the world knows.
                          R.a.M.
                          That has got to rank as the most ridiculous and potentially damaging pieces of 'advice' that you're ever posted. So by your reckoning I could go out and rob a bank today but as long as no one ever reports it, its not a crime???

Utter rubbish R.a.m. and you should withdraw your statement.
                          My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

QUOTE=45002 Well,we All know now and everyone else using the www

so what, they have no proof, and O.P. has admitted nothing, therefore it would
                            be malicious intent when no proof is available.
                            R.a.M.
                            I was referring to You ram and what you have admitted to on a public forum in your previous post's in this thread..

Blatantly encouraging people to open offer peoples post on a public forum

I just hope that one day you do get caught out................

Comment

yawn - let us all do as we please in the pivacy of our own homes / rental properties...
                              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renewing a tenancy - should I also renew the inventory/condition report?
                                by CStevens
                                Yes it is possible to do that and i would suggest in this case you have to do it. Having said that, if you grant them a further 2 years the place is not going to get any better so why dont you suggest to the tenant that you are happy to grant a further 2 years on the proviso that they first do 'x,y,z'...
                                27-05-2022, 06:24 AM
                              • Renewing a tenancy - should I also renew the inventory/condition report?
                                by bagus
                                After landlording for many years, this is the first time I've been in this situation. Most of my tenants are now on SPTs, which seems to work well for both parties.

However, a family living in one of my houses asked initially for a 2 year contract, because they were looking to adopt a second...
                                25-05-2022, 17:18 PM
                              • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
                                by jpkeates
                                Hopefully, the guarantor agreement is a deed (and not part of the AST).

At witness can be anyone, but a connected witness is less than ideal, particularly for something being signed remotely.
                                The idea is for it to be as difficult as possible for someone to forge the “guarantor”s...
                                27-05-2022, 06:21 AM
                              • Tenancy Agreement Help
                                by Harrison38784
                                Hi all,

I am a new landlord and looking for some help with the AST.

I have created a tenancy agreement which is now ready for signing.

The tenancy agreement is due to start on the 1st July.

Can the tenancy agreement be signed before the move in...
                                26-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                              • Reply to Special clauses
                                by CStevens
                                i am not sure why you would insert a break clause on those terms as that is exactly what you will be able to do if you grant a 6 month AST anyway so why not just do that?

You don't have to provide a shower or maintain one but you do have to provide sanitation facilities so if there is a...
                                27-05-2022, 06:21 AM
                              • Special clauses
                                by Harrison38784
                                Hi All,

I want to add the following break clause into my AST, but I’m wondering if I do so, do I also need to give my tenant also a break clause?

‘The Landlord may terminate this agreement by giving the Tenant not less than 2 months' written notice expiring [on or at any...
                                26-05-2022, 18:16 PM
                              • Reply to Ending contract with letting agent
                                by jpkeates
                                The deposit is the tenant’s money, and what the agent has to, or can do, with it depends on what they agreed with the tenant and / or you.
                                I don’t see how you can compel them to transfer the deposit to you unless they’ve previously agreed to do that.
                                27-05-2022, 06:16 AM
                              • Ending contract with letting agent
                                by Shorif908
                                Hi All,

Long story short, my agent of the last 18 months we have decided to depart ways.

I have most documents the only thing I don't have is documents related to the DPS.

I dont have the certificate so I dont know the deposit ID. The estate agent claims that...
                                27-05-2022, 05:50 AM
                              • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
                                by CStevens
                                Hi,

In answer to each question:

1. There is no reason why you cannot have the AST signed before. You would normally date it the date upon which the tenant takes up occupation but that's not necessary. You could date it once everyone has signed if they are happy;
                                27-05-2022, 06:14 AM
                              • Reply to Agreement for friends to live in my house
                                by CStevens
                                You might as well grant them an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ('AST')because, unless you charge them less than £100 a year, it's going to be deemed to be an AST in any case. Perhaps grant it for 2 years then it can be a rolling periodic for the 3rd year if needed. Friend or not though you are going to...
                                27-05-2022, 06:06 AM
                              Working...
                              X