Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpet damage

Hello,

I am completing my first check-out of my property that has been rented out for the last 1.5 years. On check-out I noticed staining on the carpets (which are 3 years old). I had already told the tenants that I would be organising a professional carpet cleaner, and rang around to find a fair price.

However, after the cleaner came, he informed me that the stains were actually burn marks. One possibly an iron mark (which the tenant has since admitted), and other small burn marks relating to cigarette/smoking damage. My AST specifically stated that smoking was not permitted.

It is clear that the tenant has been smoking in the property.

My question relates to what reasonable claim I can make on the deposit:

1. Am I able to charge for the carpet cleaning as well as damage to the carpet.
    2. Am I able to calculate damage to the carpet based on the DPS example, e.g.,
    a. Cost of similar replacement carpet/item - £500.00
    b. Actual age of existing carpet/item – 2 years
    c. Average useful lifespan of that type of carpet/item – 10 years
    d. Residual lifespan of carpet/item calculated as c) less b) – 8 years
    e. Depreciation of value rate calculated as a) divided by c) - £50 per year
    f. Reasonable apportionment cost to tenant calculated as d) times e) - £400.00

Thanks for any advice.

I would try for the replacement carpet.

Tenant burned the carpet, damaged it beyond repair -it cannot be repaired or the marks got rid of (well not easily) so a new carpet is necessary.

Did you have an inventory in place at the beginning of tenancy mentioning pristine carpet?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I'm rapidly learning as I go along. The carpet was new in 2008, I cleaned it with a rug doctor before the tenants moved in in 2010. However, as there was no damage/stains on the carpet I didn't detail it at the start of the tenancy.

I realise this may strike against me, so want to make sure I'm doing this correctly when requesting a repayment from their deposit.

Comment

Does the inventory mention the carpet at all?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Unfortunately there is no mention of the carpet. Which, I'm aware won't come to much if push came to shove. I'm hoping to appeal to their sense of decency, so I want to follow the correct procedure in the first place.

Comment

Lack of Inventory is fatal if Ts dispute.
            They have admitted the iron burn, if it is in the open centre of carpet.
            Ask them for 50% cost of equiv replacement (£250). Be prepared to negotiate down to cleaning cost (£100?) to avoid dep dispute. Put your loss down to cost of education. If carpet is still safe & usable for next Ts, you do not have to replace it, just ensure damage to ALL items are noted, with photos, on move in inventory.

Comment

If you are re-renting out the property, and the rest of the carpet is in good condition have you considered leaving it?

I rent a property which has a large iron burn mark in the middle of the doorway, it did not stop me renting the house, and most tennants would not expect to move into a property that has pristine carpets!

The carpets in my current rental are over 10 years old, and apart from the burn mark, and a few bits of fraying, the carpets are in excellent condition (I think they were very expensive when they were put down!) So a littl bit of wear and tear and a few marks will not put most tennants off.
              Last edited by moto; 30-01-2012, 12:16 PM. Reason: to make more sense!

Comment

personally i would leave the carpets in there and not do anything as the tenants are fine with them. once the tenants decide to move on, you can then pursue the damage via their deposit..... however it is a personal choice as to how landlords deal with their tenants

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X