Upwards only rent review after one year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upwards only rent review after one year

I wonder if anyone could help me please. I let out a house that I could not sell and have had tenants in for six years. I have never put the rent up and we have a good relationship. I also have to rent a house to live in , in another part of the country and am having a really difficult time with a well known franchise.I am about to move again and have just checked the contract. It is for two years and has a clause stating that a rent review will be conducted after a year, minimum 3% above RPI and thereafter every anniversary.
    We have had no end of trouble with these agents, lots of lies etc and this I'd the final straw. We are meant to move next week but I am thinking of pulling out. The rent is £1750, so will be quite a lot if we stay a few years.
    I thought that these clauses were for commercial or very long term contracts? Thanks if you read this far.

Originally posted by Deepinlaundry View Post
    I also have to rent a house to live in , in another part of the country and am having a really difficult time with a well known franchise.I am about to move again and have just checked the contract. It is for two years and has a clause stating that a rent review will be conducted after a year, minimum 3% above RPI and thereafter every anniversary.
    Always best to check contracts before you sign them. I think such clauses, which state there will be a fixed rise after however long, are usually pretty unreasonable - market rents are frequently out of kilter with inflation, and there's no reason to suppose that rents couldn't actually fall against a background of a rising RPI.

But you signed the contract, so....

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply. I haven't signed the contract yet. I am considering whether to pull out now ( and lose £680 admin fees), ask for clause to be deleted ( but things are already very strained) or cross out clause and ask if landlord wants to pull out.
      I am already up against it as have objected to the usual compulsory insurance clause for landlord fixtures and fittings.
      I am just so tired of the letting agents underhand ways.
      I would try and get the admin fees back if they pull out as this has never been mentioned before.

Comment

A tenant who checks an agreement before signing it? well done you, thats got to be a first on here.

If the agreement is unreasonable then there should be no problem getting your fees back but if you like the house I would try getting the clause removed first.

Tell them you want to take the property, and you are really keen to sign the agreement but not with that clause in it.

I hate mandatory clause for insurance, so do ARLA, RICS and the TSO so well done for kicking that out. If you already have your own insurance in place it should cover damage to goods you are responsible for even if not owned by you.
        My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Thank you! I received a very angry phonecall last night from
          the agent after raising the insurance issue, so am slightly wary of him. However I would not sleep at night with the rent review clause in and it seems unreasonable to me ( particularly as I think we are paying quite a high rent in comparison to others in the area).

I have sent an email to him and also asked for a response in writing to avoid another scary phonecall. I will need to cancel removals etc today if it is all off, so I need to get it sorted. He says that he never normally has trouble like this and that I am very difficult.

Comment

If you do decide to withdraw, send a letter, explaining your reasons,to LL.
            Rent review clause is unnec as LL can increase rent after 12 months using s13.

Comment

I have said that I would still like the house but would not agree to a rent review clause. Agent said it is standard clause but I don't agree nor do I think it is necessary. I might be wrong ( probably am) but thought the rent couldn't be raised during a fixed term ( mine is 2 years) without a rent review clause.
              I can find hardly anything on it apart from commercial leases or very long contracts ( 10 years plus).
              This is a standard franchise contract though from their head office, so would have thought more people had come up against it. I am so wary of letting agents, his predecessor embezzled client funds for a couple of years. Not looking good is it?!

Comment

I believe OP is correct about no rent increase during initial fixed term of AST unless mentioned in Contract. Hence the clause.

Typical Corporate intransigence with UK wide Contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepinlaundry View Post
                  I have said that I would still like the house but would not agree to a rent review clause. Agent said it is standard clause but I don't agree nor do I think it is necessary.
                  It's his standard clause, not a standard clause...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant abandoning property
                    Ms London
                    What can be done about tenants just leaving the property without notice, nor paying rent before the end of the fixed term AST?

I'm talking about the rented room on AST in London started September last year. I've got no forwarding address and suspect they left abroad. Can I put it in court?...
                    05-06-2019, 22:30 PM
                  • Reply to Tenant abandoning property
                    leaseholder64
                    You won't get money from the UK job unless you find out about and request an attachment of earnings. The payment will be subject to affordability....
                    19-06-2019, 23:45 PM
                    mariner
                    T leaving keys in the property does not end the Tenancy, unless you accept them.
                    19-06-2019, 23:22 PM
                  • Live in landlord
                    Schie
                    Hi - I have 3 bed house. I have converted one reception into room where I live and I have rented out 3 bedrooms upstairs (2 double bed and 1 single).

I'm thinking of doing loft conversion that's mean 4th bedroom. Do I need hmo license if I do loft conversion?
                    19-06-2019, 22:40 PM
                  • Reply to Live in landlord
                    leaseholder64
                    You need an HMO licence even without the conversion, assuming double occupation of at least one double bedroom. This assumes there is no selective licensing for smaller HMOs.

You need to obey HMO regulations, even if there are only 4 residents, in total.
                    19-06-2019, 23:14 PM
                  • Council tax issue
                    buttons
                    I served a section 21 notice which ended on 2nd June on a tenant. The reason was the tenant had not claimed their housing benefit. They finally got this sorted and I got paid in April then again in May. I went to the house on 22 May, the tenant was just going into the house, the first time I had seen...
                    19-06-2019, 22:39 PM
                  • Reply to Council tax issue
                    scampicat
                    I had a similar problem with a tenant. I had to provide a tenancy agreement with a note written by me explaining that the tenancy was relinquishd early, by mutual agreement. I gave the date that she was responsible for the tenancy for (which was a month later than she said). A couple of months later...
                    19-06-2019, 22:49 PM
                  • 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
                    daz87
                    All,

First time landlord that is moving with work and renting out home.

Perspective tenants, working couple one on maternity, a number of children who are keen for longer tenancy agreement than 6 months due to schools and settling in.

They have a guarantor,...
                    19-06-2019, 14:59 PM
                  • Reply to 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
                    2006holly
                    Walk away from them, there’ll be plenty more potential tenants.
                    letting agent I engaged agreed to let my flat without giving me all the info on the tenant. It’s been a nightmare of constant late payments, so many lies by agents that are still coming to light, tenants income wasn’t verified,...
                    19-06-2019, 22:22 PM
                    Ms London
                    so the picture of an empty room with the keys on the table is good enough as evidence?
                    And I'll take it to the court but if they've got a job in Ireland, not in the UK, I'll not get my rent back? And if they do get a job in the UK, automatically they will be made to pay me the rent that they owe?...
                    19-06-2019, 20:39 PM
                  Working...
                  X