Large water bill due to leaking toilet - who is responsible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large water bill due to leaking toilet - who is responsible?

Hello All,

Just a quick question.

My tenant is moving out and I have asked that all bills be settled. The water bill is in T's name. It is 1200 since January of 2011 which is very high.

T claims this is because the toilet was leaking. T admits that within one day of telling us, we had it fixed.

1) Is this really possible for water to cost so much on a leaking toilet?

2) If we fixed any problem within 24 hours, which I think is fairly responsible and responsive, surely as landlords we are not liable to pay 1200? We cannot account for how T uses the water otherwise. For all we know T could leave the taps running all night and day.

Has anyone had experience of this?

C

Sorry but that's utter rubbish.

1 house I rented the water ran down the back of the pan (24/7) and LL refused to get it fixed.

15 month tenancy it costed me an extra £20 a month = £300 - big difference to £1200!

Another house full on flooded (water up to mid-calf downstairs) when pipe burst under bathroom floor. That amount of water cost approx £50.
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Hmm, I guess it depends how fast the water was running. My house water pressure in the bathroom is about 9 litres/minute. That is 540 litres/hour. That is 12,960 litres/day. That is 4.7 million litres/year. If we say that is charged at £2 per 1000 litres, that gives a bill of about £9000.

Landlord is certainly not liable to pay if tenant didn't tell him about the problem.

edit: I just inserted the word house in the first line. I did not want anyone to think I pee that fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Conflicted View Post
        The water bill is in T's name. It is 1200 since January of 2011 which is very high.

T claims this is because the toilet was leaking. T admits that within one day of telling us, we had it fixed.

1) Is this really possible for water to cost so much on a leaking toilet?

2) If we fixed any problem within 24 hours, which I think is fairly responsible and responsive, surely as landlords we are not liable to pay 1200? We cannot account for how T uses the water otherwise. For all we know T could leave the taps running all night and day.
        Have a look at this thread from a year ago - very similar circumstances.

I can well imagine the huge cost is down to whatever delay there was in between the leak starting and the tenant reporting it. If the leak was outside the building or straight down the toilet pan (ie not causing any direct problem for the tenant) it could well have been many months.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          edit: I just inserted the word house in the first line. I did not want anyone to think I pee that fast!
          Thanks James that gave me the first good laugh of the day!
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I think T is clearly liable for costs while they did not inform LL of a problem they knew about.

One question is whether it can be proved they knew about it.

LLs best position *may* be to tell the Water Company that it is nothing to do with LL, as T had exclusive possession; that would place the onus on T to pay and sue LL.

I'm not sure whether LL is responsible for water bills in law if the tenant walks away.

ML
            Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Please trust me when I say you KNOW when water is escaping at full velocity.
              I'm a good tenant with great landlords
              I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X