Tenant eviction - what about their furniture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant eviction - what about their furniture?

With reference to my recent possession case...

(http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=3755)

As mentioned, I didn't contest the tenant's request to defer this for 28 days, and accordingly my posession date is 2 January: I have spoken to the housing benefit person in charge of the case, and she has promised me (verbally) that she will have a hostel place available for my tenant on 5 January, and that I won't need to reapply to the courts for a warrant. I think for the sake of 3 days I'll go along with that, but I won't be unduly surprised if I find myself back at the court on 5th

Anyway... my concern is that my tenant has a houseful of furniture and other stuff, and will be ending up in a hostel. She's a bit of a head-in-the-sand type, and I am now envisaging her on eviction day - be that 5 January or a subsequent future bailiff-enforced date - that she'll still be sitting there with all her stuff, and that this wil screw up her leaving. As far as I know she has nowhere for the furniture to go, and I don't know what she intends to do with it. What is the end result here? Ultimately, if she's forcibly ejected, does the furniture end up on the street and her responsibility? And/or, am I compelled to move it and store it at my expense for however long? Or if she leaves it behind, can I just get rid of it as soon as I have possession, and knock the proceeds off the ever-increasing rent arrears? (No, I didn't really think so).

Tenant eviction - what about their furniture

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    With reference to my recent possession case...

(http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=3755)

As mentioned, I didn't contest the tenant's request to defer this for 28 days, and accordingly my posession date is 2 January: I have spoken to the housing benefit person in charge of the case, and she has promised me (verbally) that she will have a hostel place available for my tenant on 5 January, and that I won't need to reapply to the courts for a warrant. I think for the sake of 3 days I'll go along with that, but I won't be unduly surprised if I find myself back at the court on 5th

Anyway... my concern is that my tenant has a houseful of furniture and other stuff, and will be ending up in a hostel. She's a bit of a head-in-the-sand type, and I am now envisaging her on eviction day - be that 5 January or a subsequent future bailiff-enforced date - that she'll still be sitting there with all her stuff, and that this wil screw up her leaving. As far as I know she has nowhere for the furniture to go, and I don't know what she intends to do with it. What is the end result here? Ultimately, if she's forcibly ejected, does the furniture end up on the street and her responsibility? And/or, am I compelled to move it and store it at my expense for however long? Or if she leaves it behind, can I just get rid of it as soon as I have possession, and knock the proceeds off the ever-increasing rent arrears? (No, I didn't really think so).
    The furniture is clearly not your responsibility. For your ex-tenant to leave your property filled with her furniture is as unreasonable as not paying her rent.
    If you are lucky enough to get possession on the 5th of January, I would write to her immediately, saying that you want the furniture out within say 10 days. You could also indicate a reasonable charge for storage. Of course it's all a lot of hassle you could do without. However, if the furniture is not reclaimed within this time, you reserve the right to sell it to defray expenses. After deducting what she owes you, you would then send the proceeds on to her. Of course second-hand furniture is worth very little so if she has any family willing to take it away and store it for her, that would be a better course for her to follow.
    I'm afraid that I agree with you, she's unlikely to go and she will use the furniture as an excuse to stay on after the 5th.

Comment

Jeffrey there is no need to quote the preceeding post! It is getting a little annoying to scrool through to find your postings!

Paul_f posted on another thread stating you should store possessions for 90 days :S Not good I know but you can add the cost of storage to what she owes you! .. If you get to the possession ask the court what should happen to her furniture.
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

If the tenant is on HB, the local housing officer or whoever it is, can arrange for the furniture to be stored that's what i got told by my housing officer last year, it's quite cheap too, i think i was told it works out about £30/50 for a month, but i don't know if it varies from one council to another.

Comment

Originally posted by jinny View Post
          If the tenant is on HB, the local housing officer or whoever it is, can arrange for the furniture to be stored that's what i got told by my housing officer last year, it's quite cheap too, i think i was told it works out about £30/50 for a month, but i don't know if it varies from one council to another.
          That's really useful info: had never heard of that at all. I'll contact the housing officer concerned and see what she says.

I certainly don't want to end up having to pay for storage myself even if it gets added to the debt, I'm not holding my breath about ever getting my money; and ultimately if it came to it, I'm sure the small amount of cash it would realise would not be worth all the aggravation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X