Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent contract renewal - Advice needed

Hi all,

I have been renting a property for 2 years, each time with a 12 month contract. We are just coming to the end of our 2nd 12 month contract. Due to another increase in rent, we are not comfortable signing another 12 month contract incase we decide to move somewhere more affordable. Our landlord is only offering a 12 month rather than a monthly rolling contract. Are we obliged to sign another 12 month if we want to stay, or can we specify we only want month by month for now?

Any advice would be great

Thanks,

If you stay beyond your 12 months fixed term a statutory periodic tenancy will automatically arise under section 5 of the Housing Act 1988.
    Disclaimer:

The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Comment

Assuming you have an assured shorthold tenancy in England/Wales, the situation is as follows:

• You are totally free to refuse to sign a new fixed term contract.

• If you are in occupation at fixed term expiry, then a statutory periodic tenancy (SPT) will automatically arise (a.k.a. a rolling contract), i.e. the tenancy will continue. You don't need the LL's agreement for a SPT to arise, and you don't need to specify that you want it; it happens by law, under s.5 HA1988.

• The LL cannot evict you/end the tenancy without serving proper notice and obtaining a possession order, a procedure which takes several months.

• The LL may serve a s.21 notice at any time seeking possession and apply for a possession order following expiry of the notice, and a s.21 notice doesn't need to give any grounds for seeking possession. (N.B. The LL cannot obtain a possession order under s.21 to take effect during a fixed term, but he may succeed in obtaining one under s.8, most usually on the grounds of unpaid rent).

• The LL may serve a s.13 notice increasing the rent after the AST becomes periodic; and whilst you may appeal to a rent committee, a fair increase is likely to be enforceable.

• You don't need to give notice to end the tenancy at the end of the current fixed term; if you vacate on or before the last day, the tenancy (and your liability for rent) ends on that date.

• If a SPT arises after fixed term expiry, you will then be obliged to serve notice to quit if you wish to end the tenancy; it must be at least a month and expire at the end of a tenancy period.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by Lawcruncher
        Just to clarify, what I meant was that the requirement comes from the tenancy terms if they include it....
        29-01-2022, 08:38 AM
      • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by Piffy
        I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
        27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
      • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
        by Flashback1966
        or just work hard and hopefully take an early retirement.

You can't predict the future. Things always go in cycle. They want to get rid of Section 21, so you may be unable to get your property back. You may end up working and subsidising your rentals....
        29-01-2022, 03:42 AM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by DoricPixie
        It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
        28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
      • Renting rooms
        by Luke
        I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
        I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
        I do not intend to live at the property
        Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
        As its...
        28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by DoricPixie
        I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
        28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by theartfullodger
        Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
        28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by Hudson01
        If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
        28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by jpkeates
        That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
        The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
        28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
      Working...
      X