Small Claims Court or Debt Collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Claims Court or Debt Collectors

What is the general total costs to try and recover unpaid rent via a small claims court with an attachement of earnings?

I am owed over £3k in unpaid rent and legal and court costs to get possession of the property. I need to know if it will be worthwhile applying through the small claims court or if it will just leave me even more out of pocket.

Would it be better to use a debt collector to recover the money owed to me?

Thanks in advance for any help offered......!.

Small claims court or Debt Collectors

I've used Moneyclaim-on-line with partial success but I think people who default on rent payments are likely to default again. You may get a few monthly payments and then the payments stop.
    You have to judge the person; did they fail to pay the rent because of some temporary problem in their lives? Are they now in a position to not only keep up with their current commitments but also to repay debts from the past? If they are now employed and have assets, you have a chance. You could go a CCJ via Money claim on-line. You can also apply for an attachment of earnings.
    Its hard to let go when they owe you so much, but if they have no jobs and no assets, pursuing them via the Courts is probably money down the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumocie View Post
      What is the general total costs to try and recover unpaid rent via a small claims court with an attachement of earnings?

I am owed over £3k in unpaid rent and legal and court costs to get possession of the property. I need to know if it will be worthwhile applying through the small claims court or if it will just leave me even more out of pocket.

Would it be better to use a debt collector to recover the money owed to me?

Thanks in advance for any help offered......!.
      In order to recover the money you have to first of all win the case in the court. Only once you have judgment in your favour can you go down the attachment of earnings route.

As you have already won back your property (by the sound of it) then you would be likely to also get judgment for the rent (but that is just my opinion based on one sentence of yours so I could be VERY wrong depending on the facts of your case.)

A claim for the amount you are requesting will initially cost you £150. If you win, that money is added to the debt.

However, what is the likelihood that the ex-tenant has any money to give you? I recently got judgment for £5000+ which is now being paid back to me through an attachment of earnings order of all of £50 a month. That's an awful lot of months, when you consider interest at £35 a month so they're only paying off £15 a month from the debt. It's up to you to assess the situation and decide if it's worth pursuing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X