extractor fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extractor fans

our tenant seems to think an extractor fan in the kitchen is a legal requirement. Is this so?

Originally posted by JML View Post
    our tenant seems to think an extractor fan in the kitchen is a legal requirement. Is this so?
    Not as far as I know.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Ventilation

There should be adequate ventilation in a kitchen
      As we all know this is usually provided by opening a window

Comment

Originally posted by leonaph View Post
        There should be adequate ventilation in a kitchen
        As we all know this is usually provided by opening a window
        Perhaps it only has windows 95?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks everyone. Opening a window is too much like hard work for this mean old man of a tenant!

Comment

Yeah? Just gently remind your mean old man of a tenant that extractor fans run off electricity, which he has to pay for. I think then the extractor fan question will die.

Comment

The new housing act uses the health and safety rating system (HHSRS) to assess properties for 29 different hazards. This would be used by environmental health if your tenant complained to the local council. The assessment would look at the heating, insulation and ventilation in the property. In the guidance for the hazard damp and mould growth it says “There should be sufficient and appropriate means of ventilation to deal with moisture generated by normal domestic activities without the need to open windows. Opening windows can result in heat loss, noise, and may be a security risk. There may be no need for additional background ventilation where windows are ill-fitting, no draught stripping, and/or where there are open chimney flues. Where there is draught-stripping, or tight fitting windows, provision for background ventilation may be necessary via trickle vents in replacement windows, insertion of high-level airbricks, or by a passive stack or a MHRV system” therefore if your local EHO got involved they could possibly ask for trickle vents or mechanical extraction in a kitchen if they felt it was needed but there is no black/white yes/no answer. For more information just Google ‘HHSRS’

Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by JML View Post
                We did this one to death very recently. See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=4130

Comment

Thanks pepsi, very helpful.
                  Sorry Ericthelobster. I am new here, thanks for the link.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X