Adding second guarantor to judgement

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Adding second guarantor to judgement

    An ex-tenant still owes me £1100 after her deposit was returned to me. Her AST was guaranteed by her both parents.

    I have a CCJ against her and her father (Money Claim online only allows two defendants to a claim). No payment has been made. Bailiffs have been unable to obtain sufficient goods. Ex-tenant is unemployed, father self-employed, with income claimed to be £5000 p.a.

    I have now been told that the mother is employed, and she was employed when she signed the AST ...

    Can I get a further judgement against the mother because the debt is still unpaid (as a prelude to an attachment of earnings order). Or is it the case that the first judgement precludes any others and lets the second guarantor off the hook?

    Is there any point in getting an order to obtain information from the father - I believe he has lied in his statement about his income - who could work for £5000 p.a.

    Or is it time to stop throwing good money after bad, go for a charging order on the father's house (owner occupied), and wait for them to sell it?

    What do people think
    Last edited by Davidjolo; 09-01-2012, 11:08 AM. Reason: correcting typos

    I have a very similar case where I am owed £3500 and am considering going for the wife who has a part time job. Half of me says 'move on' and the other half is up for it - don't let the ba****** get away with it.

    Anyone out there got any advice?

    Freedom at the point of zero............


      If you sue the principal debtor, get judgement and he fails to pay you can then pursue any guarantor. It would seem to follow that if you sue the principal debtor and one of two guarantors and they fail to pay you can then pursue the second guarantor.


        Thanks for that Lawcruncher but do you have any views on whether to pursue or not? We are equally divided at work.

        Freedom at the point of zero............


          Thank you for the replies.

          I think I'll pursue the mother. It might (long shot) shame tenant into paying and I can always go for a charging order next.

          I think it would be a mistake not to pursue as far as possible. Bad tenants do discuss things, including posting on facebook, and a reputation for proper pursuit of debts is better than a reputation for letting people get away with it.


            Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
            Thanks for that Lawcruncher but do you have any views on whether to pursue or not? We are equally divided at work.
            Not sure I can answer that for you. I think you need to take a business view and consider whether the time, effort and expense is worth a possible negative outcome. Forget all about what the tenant may get away with.


            Latest Activity


            • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
              by Renterthedragon
              I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

              I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

              Approaching the end...
              18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
            • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
              by ash72
              I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

              Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
              18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
            • notifying utility companies of tenant change
              by flyingfreehold
              Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
              18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by Hooper
              I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
              18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
            • Single parent renting
              by Dct
              A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
              18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by Hudson01
              This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
              18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
            • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Hudson01
              As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
              18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
            • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Forgetmeknot
              I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
              so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
              18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
            • Reply to Let a house to local council
              by ram
              If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

              It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
              18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
            • Let a house to local council
              by r3drum

              Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

              Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
              20-11-2019, 11:58 AM