Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Tenancy Agreement - tenant left before end of tenancy

Hi there,

I'm a letting agent and have a tenant who did not pay Decembers rent, been unable to get in touch and been to the property to find it empty. The tenancy was due to finish in July.
    Am I able to try and get the rent for the rest of the tenancy without the signed tenancy agreement?
    I have the application form, deposit in the Dps and texts from the tenant confirming the start date. But without the tenancy agreement am I stuck?

Many thanks for any advice,

D

Have you spoken to neighbours?

Does the landlord know what's happening?

Do you know the exact dates of the agreement? Are you saying the agreement was still in it's fixed term?

Why have you not got records of everything?

After a couple of months then Finder Monkey may be able to trace the tenants, they will lay a trail.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Spa to neighbours last night when I visited the property. They advised the tenants moved out last week to a new house (don't know where).

The tenancy started 3rd July 2011 for 12 months (AST).

I have all other paperwork but the tenancy agreement, must have mislaid it somehow. Kicking myself!

Comment

The landlord is not aware yet as I only found out last night.

Comment

Without the lease you're in rather a tricky situation as you can't re-let the property until august as there's always the risk that the tenant will re-emerge and want the property back. Although it becomes more unlikely as time goes on it's nevertheless something to consider. The fact that the tenant hasn't paid the rent does not give you any right to re-let until such a time that you have obtain repossession through a court of law.
          FB
          The above is merely my opinion only and based solely on my understanding of the law - I could be completely wrong.
          FdubyaB

Comment

Am I able to legally try and get the rent for the rest of the tenancy without the tenancy agreement?

Comment

It is the LL who will have to get legal repo of the property, poss via s8 and chase unpaid rent. At the moment, without a T notice of intention to vacate or a 6 mo break clause, the T continues until end of fixed 12 month term. You can continue to try and collect rent but cannot instigate legal proceedings without instruction from your client LL. You should inform him immediately of the apparent abandonment.
              I am concerned, you call yourself a LA yet have no grasp of the rel Law.
              Hopefully, you were wise enough to give LL a signed copy of the TA.

Comment

As soon as 2 'rent due' days are passed without payment, a S8 grounds 8,10 & 11 can be issued by the landlord, you are able to put it through the door of the property as his agent. That has a 14 day notice period before you are able to start court proceedings for possession, the rented property is the only address you have for him so it will be deemed served, if posting it send it normal mail and allow 2 days for service, you can get a certificate of posting from the PO for free, do it twice from different post offices, if putting it through the door, have a witness that you have done so.

By the time you have traced the tenant you might have a court date, it is essential that you follow the correct procedures to regain the property to avoid being accused of illegal eviction.

When you finally get into court you can be with the landlord but you may not speak, unless allowed by the judge. The PO will give the tenant a minimum 14 days to vacate, after that has passed you should be able to safely take possession, some here will tell you to organise a bailiff as well, if there are any tenant possessions there then that would be a wise move. If the place has no tenant's possessions though you are fairly safe.

Ps. Under no circumstances change the locks at this stage.
                Last edited by jta; 02-01-2012, 12:36 PM. Reason: Ps.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDubya20 View Post
                  Am I able to legally try and get the rent for the rest of the tenancy without the tenancy agreement?
                  Yes. The tenant will owe the rent up till the time you legally re-take possession or the end of the rental agreement. That's why you need to use finder monkey, he is a member here himself so hopefully he will be expecting your call, the sooner the better and if you have info such as his car registration number, passport number etc. it might be very quick.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                    As soon as 2 'rent due' days are passed without payment, a S8 grounds 8,10 & 11 can be issued by the landlord, you are able to put it through the door of the property as his agent.
                    Only if the tenancy agreement gives the landlord the right to use section 8, grounds 8. 10 & 11. Without the TA then DW20 can't prove that.

Originally posted by jta View Post
                    Yes. The tenant will owe the rent up till the time you legally re-take possession or the end of the rental agreement.
                    But how will DW20 prove when the end of the tenancy agreement was if there is no contract to be found? Emails may suggest intent, they do not prove what was finally agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                      Only if the tenancy agreement gives the landlord the right to use section 8, grounds 8. 10 & 11. Without the TA then DW20 can't prove that.

(6) The court shall not make an order for possession of a dwelling-house to take effect at a time when it is let on an assured fixed term tenancy unless:
                      (a) the ground for possession is Ground 2 or Ground 8 in Part I of Schedule 2 to this Act or any of the grounds in Part II of that Schedule, other than Ground 9 or Ground 16; and
                      (b) the terms of the tenancy make provision for it to be brought to an end on the ground in question (whether that provision takes the form of a provision for re-entry, for forfeiture, for determination by notice or otherwise).

I agree about that, however how many modern AST agreements do not have that provision in, DD20 must have a copy of his standard forms.

To be honest I can't be bothered, bye.

Comment

Note that the limitation re using section 8 is only that a possession order cannot take effect during the fixed term unless the tenancy agreement allows it.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                          Note that the limitation re using section 8 is only that a possession order cannot take effect during the fixed term unless the tenancy agreement allows it.
                          Agreed, that gives rise to an interesting point.

When does the fixed term end if there is no agreement available (but presumably one in Ts hands). I guess it would be treated as an oral periodic tenancy and therefore only 1 rent period long - tenant is not going to want to prove otherwise by revealing their copy (and becoming liable for balance of fixed term), so DW20 should be fine with s8.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
                            by Hudson01
                            But we don't, as said in another post, we are a business and as such we pick and choose whom we feel will be best suited to our properties and will cause the least issues. The real culprits in all of this are the (and previous) governments, who, over many decades, have failed to build enough social...
                            19-05-2022, 18:41 PM
                          • Single parent renting
                            by Dct
                            A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                            18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                          • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                            by doobrey
                            My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
                            19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                          • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                            by HMOmike
                            I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
                            19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
                          • Reply to Single parent renting
                            by Dct
                            She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
                            19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                            by KTC
                            It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
                            19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
                            by HMOmike
                            Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
                            19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                          • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                            by jpkeates
                            The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
                            19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
                          • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                            by abimsalabim
                            I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                            18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                            by jpkeates
                            If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
                            That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
                            19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                          Working...
                          X