White Goods and who is responsible, me or the LL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Goods and who is responsible, me or the LL?

Hello I am new here and have been having problems with my LL for a while and I have a question for private tenants.

Who is responsible for replacing a broken cooker, seeing that I am the one that uses it and not the tenants but it was there when I moved in and was already being used by them? I have pointed out that one of the rings have broken (it's a really old fashioned one with spiral rings) and with a large family, it's constantly being used.

My LL is refusing to replace it saying that it's my responsibility. I don't mind replacing it but just wanted to know where I stand. He is saying that I 'brought' it when I started renting his house, is that right? He is also asking me if it's fair that I should expect him to pay for a new one. I don't plan to be here for very long and am looking to move into a property that is fitted with gas cooking facilities. If I do buy a new electric one, I don't want the hassle of selling it to the LL or anyone else.

Would be grateful for your advice, thanks x

You refer to both tenants and landlord, so it is not clear whom you are.

Are you, maybe, renting a room in the property and the cooker is in the 'communal' kitchen that you share with other tenants?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
      You refer to both tenants and landlord, so it is not clear whom you are.

Are you, maybe, renting a room in the property and the cooker is in the 'communal' kitchen that you share with other tenants?
      Thank you for the reply.

I am the tenant and have been here in this house for the past two years. I am privateky renting the entire house x

Comment

That makes it a little clearer - the first thing to clarify is what the tenancy agreement says about your cooker?

Comment

That makes it a little clearer - the first thing to clarify is what the tenancy agreement says about your cooker?
          That is the problem, my tenancy agreement with my LL was emailed to me which I have now lost and if I mention it to them, they will simply send me a new one which exonerates them of any responsibility regarding white goods. The tenancy agreement from the local council does not mention white goods and who's responsible for their upkeep (to be honest I have not refered to it for a while, I will do that 1st thing tomorrow)

Comment

Why is there a tenancy agreement from the local council?

Comment

It's done via the council because I am on benefits and getting 100% housing benefit x

Comment

Originally posted by Yasmeen View Post
                Who is responsible for replacing a broken cooker, seeing that I am the one that uses it and not the tenants but it was there when I moved in and was already being used by them?
                You say you're the tenant, so who are the tenants who were/are using the cooker?
                I have pointed out that one of the rings have broken (it's a really old fashioned one with spiral rings) and with a large family, it's constantly being used.
                So the problem is that one out of four rings is not working? i.e. 3 rings/grill/oven are working?

My LL is refusing to replace it saying that it's my responsibility. I don't mind replacing it but just wanted to know where I stand. He is saying that I 'brought' it when I started renting his house, is that right?
                What does the tenancy contract say about who is responsible?
                The tenancy agreement from the local council does not mention white goods and who's responsible for their upkeep (to be honest I have not refered to it for a while, I will do that 1st thing tomorrow)
                Is the LL a private LL or do you have a tenancy granted by the council? It can't be both.

Comment

It's done via the council because I am on benefits and getting 100% housing benefit x
                  That doesn't mean that you have a tenancy contract with the council. Who is the landlord named on the tenancy contract? It's either X Council, or Mr or Mrs X.

Comment

It could be property owners have granted Council a fixed term Lease to house Ts eligible for Council housing in exchange for repairs/grants
                    As westminster says we need to know who is named as LL on OPs TA and any clauses relating to repair of cooker/white goods. Is cooker described on move in inspection as fully functional?
                    A single non-fuctioning pan ring of 4? does not condemn the cooker as inoperable

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                      You say you're the tenant, so who are the tenants who were/are using the cooker?

Oops, typing error. I am the only tenant using the cooker. Nobody else, The LLs were obviously using it before I moved in.

So the problem is that one out of four rings is not working? i.e. 3 rings/grill/oven are working?

Yes that is correct. 3 out of 4 rings are working. My pots are large (we are a family of 5 and they don't fit on the back burner)

What does the tenancy contract say about who is responsible?

There is no mention of white goods in my Tenancy Agreement. What are my rights in this instance?

Is the LL a private LL or do you have a tenancy granted by the council? It can't be both.
                      Yes you are right. The LLs are a Mr & Mrs K and the Council are involved, as the LLs have granted the council a fixed term lease to house me under the council housing scheme.

Comment

This is still not clear. It is unusual for a property owner to be involved with tenants if the property has been let to the council - the tenancy is then the councils issue.

We need to clarify your status before we can advise you correctly.

When you moved into this place, how did you find it? Did you respond to an advert in the newspaper etc? Or did the council say, "We have a house for you at 123 High Street"?

Comment

This is still not clear. It is unusual for a property owner to be involved with tenants if the property has been let to the council - the tenancy is then the councils issue.

We need to clarify your status before we can advise you correctly.

When you moved into this place, how did you find it? Did you respond to an advert in the newspaper etc? Or did the council say, "We have a house for you at 123 High Street"?
                          I responded to an advert that was placed on gumtree.com

Comment

I responded to an advert that was placed on gumtree.com
                            Okay, becoming clearer. Once you had found the place, did you then sign up with the council for Housing Benefit?

Comment

Okay, becoming clearer. Once you had found the place, did you then sign up with the council for Housing Benefit?
                              I did, yes x

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X