The Tenants Deposit Scheme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tenants Deposit Scheme

Me and my partner moved into a house around three months ago, we were struggling to pay the rent so asked if the Letting Agency could find a few more people to move in.

Eventually more people moved in but they are a nightmare to live with so we are looking to move out but the letting agency have said that the deposit we have put down cannot be taken out early (since we signed a 12 month contract) and if it is then we will lose something like £250 of the whole £750 we put down.

Is this true? Would we really lose this much? The people we are living with are completely different to us and have pretty much made it impossible to stay in the house - instead of sharing a whole house we pretty much have a room because all they do is talk about us and each other behind everyones back... it is a horrible situation to be in.

Do you have one contract between all of you, or separate contracts (perhaps one contract per room?)

Does your tenancy agreement have a 'break clause' that allows you to leave the property before the end of the 12 month agreement?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Part of deposit not protected
      coppernob
      Hi all,

Last December we entered into an AST (initial 6 month fixed term) and paid a deposit of £900, which included a £200 pet deposit for our dog. This full £900 was put into the a deposit protection scheme.

Towards the end of January we wished to get another dog, and...
      16-07-2019, 10:26 AM
    • Reply to Part of deposit not protected
      DPT57
      Tell the landlord that if he repays you the deposit in full from his own funds, you will agree to him retaining the full deposit that's in the DPS account. It shouldn't be beyond his means to front fund this for 30 days....
      18-07-2019, 16:40 PM
    • Best option
      Locornwall
      I am considering buying a bungalow. It has a garage to the front and in a large rear garden, an outbuilding.

When considering making money from a possible lodge or Airbnb, what would you say is my best option? Maybe to convert the garage and provide extra room for an in house lodger or...
      18-07-2019, 13:57 PM
    • Reply to Best option
      jpkeates
      It was mentioned, but the main debate in that thread is whether the use of some kind of granny flat would be a lodger or a tenancy arrangement.
      So mostly about people living there.

Creating a situation where people stay somewhere temporarily is a different thing (it seems to me)....
      18-07-2019, 15:18 PM
    • Finding replacement tenant
      Chihuahua1461
      Hi guys,

Looking for some help or advice. I am currently renting from a private landlord in a shared living arrangement in the UK.

My current 12 month (and then rolling monthly) lease is due to end. In the contract it stipulates it is my responsibility to find a replacement...
      18-07-2019, 00:19 AM
    • Reply to Finding replacement tenant
      jpkeates
      I don't think the indefinite contract things going to fly.
      This is a straightforward lease with an initial term that continues in some (oddly undefined) way.

The only unusual thing about it is that the terms of the continuation aren't defined, which they normally would be - so there...
      18-07-2019, 15:14 PM
    • Reply to Finding replacement tenant
      Chihuahua1461
      Fingers crossed an expert will spot this as you say leaseholder64 - tell me their name, I'm not privy to such etiquette 😁

So it looks like I have to find a replacement prior to leaving then? Any previous tenants I have known have done this. It just makes it difficult to find myself a...
      18-07-2019, 15:06 PM
    • Reply to Best option
      leaseholder64
      AirBnB was raised, by the OP, in the original thread,
      18-07-2019, 14:35 PM
    • Reply to Best option
      jpkeates
      To be fair this is a completely different question.

There aren't really anywhere near the same rules about AirBnB as there are about tenancies.
      Someone staying for a holiday or for a very short period has different needs (and rights) to a long term tenant.

The key determinants...
      18-07-2019, 14:28 PM
    • Reply to Best option
      Locornwall
      Yes but if I’m honest I got a bit confused by some of the language used on that thread.
      18-07-2019, 14:08 PM
    Working...
    X