Early leaving tenant - who pays utilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric, I appreciate your views, but I dont see the landlord having accepted surrender in any of his posts. Actually he states that he' understands that he cant re-rent the property until the end of the tenancy'.

The tenant has offered surrender and from the landlords posts he has not as yet accepted. His actions since the offer of surrender are not those of a landlord who has accepted surrender, unless he is doing things in the property which he has not stated in his posts.

I would use the following county court to support some of my arguments.

http://www.letlink.co.uk/case-law/su...ryan-2009.html

Comment

Regarding the utilities, I don't believe it makes any difference as to whether or not the tenant has "surrendered tenancy". He has left the property and informed the utilities of this, presumably giving a "closing reading" so will no longer be using the gas, electricity etc and so cannot be charged for it.

Comment

In order to accept the T's surrender, all the LL has to do in this situation is reply to his text saying 'I accept your surrender. You are no longer liable for any utility charges', although personally I cannot see this is necessary. The tenancy has clearly surrendered the tenancy and the LL has acted in such a way as to suggest he has accepted that surrender.

As far as the boiler is concerned, it is in any case the LL's responsibility and the only way OP could justify charging the T for its repair is if the T had damaged it in some way. Very hard to prove, with boilers!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks all. It's complicated, of course. I discovered from a neighbour that a few weeks ago there was a leak and the gas board came, switched everyone off, dug up the courtyard and replaced all the pipes that supply the meters (all located in one common utility room). For reasons that remain unclear (and may be forever lost), the T did not get it switched back on. The neighbour related that their flat was inspected, their boiler checked and then the new supply pipe was uncapped.

This didn't happen at the flat for some reason, and arriving to a vacated flat with no gas supply (no surprise the boiler wouldn't work!) was the first I'd heard about it. A plumber I called in identified where and how the supply was capped, but referred me to the gas board to get it uncapped.

The saga continues, and I'll be contacting them tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by drfrot View Post
            a few weeks ago there was a leak and the gas board came, switched everyone off...
            ...the T did not get it switched back on...
            It occurred to me this may be the reason they moved out. Why oh why oh why didn't they contact me?!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is a handrail required?
              by prs26
              I am writing to ask if a handrail is required by any law/regulation for a wide flight of three marble stairs, each about 14cm in height well spaced apart and each with a doormat inset into the centre, which go up to the front entrance door of a residential block of 4 flats. Thank you.
              16-05-2022, 15:20 PM
            • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
              by Laurasplog
              The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
              16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
            • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
              by Laurasplog
              We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
              by Laurasplog
              The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
              16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
            • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
              by theartfullodger
              In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
              16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
            • Buying a tenanted residential property
              by itsthomas
              We are buying a residential property to live in
              Now that everything is ready for exchange we are told that the tenant has decided not to move out.
              The tenancy agreement is already expired two months ago and she has stopped paying rent since.

Now we would like to know what happens...
              12-05-2022, 19:37 PM
              by Neelix
              Just be thankful you haven’t got an insurance claim from the flat below...
              16-05-2022, 14:28 PM
              by ash72
              Why didn't Company A just carry out the works, why were 2 other companies enlisted, was this for insurance purposes? Most likely company A made the right assessment, as it could be a combination of both bath being sealed and pipes especially if hair and other things start causing a blockage something...
              16-05-2022, 14:25 PM
            • Reply to S21 Abolition Query
              by theartfullodger
              Until we see the actual legislation to be enacted to replace s21 we won't know.

We could talk about how Scotland handled abolition of the equivalent, but am confident England will do it differently (mainly due to NIH )

Who wanted 24 months and why or watch why? Do I guess...
              16-05-2022, 14:24 PM
            • S21 Abolition Query
              by Sol_1969
              Hi,

Now that it looks like that S21 will be abolished, can anyone hazard a guess what will happen to S21 notices that were issued before the abolition but have not yet been completed?

I have tenants who are 12 months through a 24-month contract. I would like to serve a S21...
              16-05-2022, 10:32 AM
            Working...
            X