Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tenants replacing items them removing them

Hi
    Would a clause in an AST stand up ie be a fair one if it mentioned that any fixtures they replace/change become the property of the landlord. Such as them replacing all the carpets but have said they will replace them for old ones after including putting back laminate flooring etc.
    Cheers

Landlord is not entitled to 'betterment' so I would guess not - so long as carpets etc are not replaced with worse condition than those supplied. Make sure the inventory is very thorough with regard to age and standard of such things.

Comment

Perhaps OP can explain what LL property has been removed and replaced with what? Did Ts seek prior LL permission? Did LL agree prior to change?

Comment

Yes it was just that tenants have made nice place look even better but mentioned in passing that they were going to put the old carpets etc back afterwards which would be a shame

Comment

If you agree that the property has been improved by the tenants, it is appropriate that the LL make a contribution to these improvements. You are not obliged to pay the full cost of the improvements as the tenants have chasen to do them, and gained material benefit from them, however they are improvements none the less.
          Deduct the normal rate of fair wear and tear from the improvements. i.e. 20%pa for carpets, 33%pa for decorating etc.
          I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

I'm going to suggest that your T is massively hinting that they would like a contribution from you for the improvements.

I've done improvements to rental properties on the understanding that it becomes part of the property and left there. To suggest storing the old items to put them back is frankly absurd unless you have a heated garage space (a carpet left in cold garage would degrade imo and not be appropriate to put back anyway).

I find a better negotiation would be to agree not to raise the rent on their next contract.
            I'm a good tenant with great landlords
            I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

You are not losing out if they replace our carpets back, only gaining, so tell them that you are fine with them removing and replacing the catpet and laminate.

It would be fun to see them putting back old carpet and laminate after taking it up and storing it for a considerable time.
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
                mandm
                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                I served the...
                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                mariner
                It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
                22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
                JK0
                I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
                21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
                mandm
                Letter sent with the evidence attached.
                Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
                I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
                21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
              • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                Pickle135
                Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
                08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
              • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                Pickle135
                Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
                21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
              • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                scooter08
                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                12/04/2015
                21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
              • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                scooter08
                Thanks for the reply jp....
                21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
                jpkeates
                Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
                21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
                scooter08
                I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
                21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
              Working...
              X