Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tenant has a friend staying.

hi
    could someone offer guidance please? My tenant has a friend in difficulty who needs a place to stay. I have agreed to a couple of weeks but what is the legal position?
    Many thanks in anticipation.

Originally posted by livvo View Post
    hi
    could someone offer guidance please? My tenant has a friend in difficulty who needs a place to stay. I have agreed to a couple of weeks but what is the legal position?
    Many thanks in anticipation.

Your tenant is entitled to have guests to stay and two weeks is not an unreasonable stay (they do not need your permission for this).

Presumably he will not be paying rent?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

So long as you leave the contract untouched, the new occupant does not gain any tenancy rights. Even if it turns into a long-term agreement the visitor will be no more than an easily removable (by the tenant) lodger.

Comment

You may need to check with housing benefits and council tax if the friend stays longer than a couple of weeks, I know it was about 4 nights a week they were classed as having that as a permanent residence but I'm not sure after how many weeks this became applicable. It also may differ by authorities but if your tenant is in receipt of any housing benefits it will affect you if the housing benefits decide that someone is living there.

Comment

ally_k reasonable observation but HB and Council Tax are prob T resp.
          AST may allow T to sublet, which IMO is only constrained by duration of T. Friends/relatives may stay for many weeks and LL may require increased deposit but he cannot prevent anyone without a contractual arrangement with T from staying.
          The question posed apppears to be 'does any long-term guest of T have any tenant/lodger/sub tenant rights
          IMO No

Comment

Many thanks for raising HB issue ally_k. As mariner points out -it is the T responsibility, but if HB were affected it would affect my T ability to pay the rent -and I would like the present T to stay long-term! I will pass this info to T

Comment

Sorry, what I meant was that tenant is telling you they are helping a friend what if in 6 months time the friend is still there? If housing benefit aren't aware of it and find out they will see it as a change in T circs and treat it as an overpayment which they will reclaim from you. You're much better having lower HB payments and the tenant/friend making up any shortfall than having to find a few months rent to hand back to HB.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                MrShed
                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                jpkeates
                We can trade with anyone.
                What matters is the terms we trade on.

Currently we're beyond screwed.
                I wanted more for my children than being a pale version of a comic relief video....
                20-07-2017, 20:31 PM
                JK0
                Happy days! We can trade with the EU after Brexit then!...
                20-07-2017, 20:24 PM
                jpkeates
                That's two questions.

First, no.
                Second, no.

The EU trades with China on the basis that no personal data is migrated, same as the USA....
                20-07-2017, 20:23 PM
                JK0
                20-07-2017, 20:17 PM
                JK0
                So the EU requires anyone it trades with at the moment to comply with all the laws the EU complies with? Erm, doesn't most stuff come from China nowadays?...
                20-07-2017, 20:16 PM
              • RGI and housing benefit
                cdbe
                Hi, new to the forum and relatively new to letting. My situation is:

Couple view house, like it etc, seem OK to me. She's full time employed, he's currently unemployed but looking to start his own business as a tattoo artist. Still ok-ish. They pay me £100 holding deposit and £100 referencing...
                18-07-2017, 00:08 AM
              • Reply to RGI and housing benefit
                cdbe
                Thanks. I've binned them off. The ref co said what she earns won't cover it. TBH I don't know why I tried. I've offered her the holding deposit in full plus whatever I get back from uklandlord referencing.co (I paid them £140 - 110 for one reference and 1 year RGI and 30 for second reference, so basically...
                20-07-2017, 19:48 PM
              • Resident Landlord tenancy
                Rocky1001
                Hi all, need some advice please.

I'm in the process of letting my flat out but am struggling to work out exactly what type of tenancy I should be using, from my research I believe it should be a form of Excluded resident landlord tenancy but I can't seem to find a suitable template as...
                10-07-2017, 12:55 PM
              • Reply to Resident Landlord tenancy
                Rocky1001
                Hi, thanks for that, so would it make a difference if I offer shared use of the main bathroom and not just limit the tenant to their en-suite in their self contained section?
                Also can I ask recommendation regarding best way of handling council tax?

I assume their are existing templates...
                20-07-2017, 17:40 PM
              Working...
              X