X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants not paying

Hi,

This is my first post on here.
    My tenants started their 12 month tenancy in March. Rather than taking a deposit, I opted for 2 months in advance and put this clause in the contract and rent payable on the first of every month

Tenants agree to pay landlord two months rent in advance in the amount of £900, consisting of £450 when signing the contract and £450 when the tenancy begins.

All was fine until May were there was problems with cheques bouncing, although they remained 2 months in advance until now. Having had 9 bounced cheques, lots of excuses why payment hasn't been made and lots of arranged meeting with them cancelled by the tenants, I am completely fed up. Currently, they are now in arrears with no payment in November or December. I have sent several letters explaining they are in arrears and need to make payments within 2 weeks which have been ignored.

They have claimed advice saying that the contract does not deem them to remain 2 months in advance, am just wondering other landlords thoughts on the clause.

I'm not sure what my options are but would just like to end the tenancy but ensure i recoop all of my rent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Originally posted by Simple Tenancy Agreements
    I always insist on using a standing order when a tenant is paying rent.

In any event your tenant has defaulted payment and should be subjected to whatever the consequences are in your contract. In mine that is interest at 4% above base.

If you want them out, you are going to have to wait until the correct notice and notice period has been served and waited for
    Ooh, base rate 0.5%, add 4% = 0.52%. On a £500 rent thats 0.71p a day - is it worth it?

Comment

Your 2 months in advance sounds like a deposit by any other name and could cause you problems under section 214 of the 2004 Housing Act. http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2009/0...eposit-honest/

The deposit situation means you can't use section 21 to evict your tenants.

Does your tenancy agreement include a clause that says you can use section 8, ground 8 of the 1988 Housing Act?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
        Paul4321
        Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
        20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
      • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
        wfd_property
        200 miles. Work needing doing? Tenant wanting 10 years? Why on earth doesn't he aspire to buy a place?

Flip it in a local auction. Use the money to buy something local to you and let to a stranger for 6 months....
        24-07-2017, 22:40 PM
      • Help re flatsharing legal position!
        CatherineCarr
        Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
        24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
      • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
        Wright76
        I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

Unfortunately for...
        24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
      • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        pdmalik
        Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
        23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
      • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        wfd_property
        So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
        24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
      • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        Manchesterlandlord
        hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
        24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        wfd_property
        Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
        24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        KTC
        "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
        24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
      • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        Jcg76
        I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
        Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
        24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
      Working...
      X