Gaurantor Still valid when initial AST rolls into periodic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaurantor Still valid when initial AST rolls into periodic?

The original 6 month AST that the Gaurantor signed onto has since turned automatically into a periodic tenancy. Does this mean the Gaurantor is relinquished of his responsibilities? Or do they still stand.

If they do, does at fact that the AST was signed with no independent witness? (something which I have never done!).

AST does not have to even be in writing, so signatures / witnesses are not hugely relevant.

The issue of the guarantors liability depends on the wording of the guarantee document. Most puport to keep you liable for the full duration, but there are members on here who say that it is possible to relinquish your liability after the initial tenancy agreement. I am not convinced.

Comment

I believe it is possible for the guarantor to give notice so to speak but I have a clause in my agreement saying that if they do a section 21 will be immediately issued so it would certainly make them think!
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

As Snorkerz says, it will turn on the wording of the Guarantor document. However if that document was not crefully drafted and executed as a Deed, it may not stand up in court in any case.

Guarantorship is a tricky area as the courts recognise that Gs on the surface of it at least, have nothing to gain from the relationship (unlike in most other contracts). So a G agreement has to be rock-solid and to achieve this usually involves jumping through several hoops, e.g. allowing G sight of the proposed contract, time to seek legal advice, having it executed as a Deed with proper witnesses, etc.

A letter from the G saying 'If he doesn't pay the rent, I will' probably won't cut the mustard.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant Issues - New Landlord Requesting Advice
          TWMLandlord
          For the past year I have let my family home (work commitments meant I've had to live elsewhere), using a fully managed service provided by a local letting agent. I let the property on the understanding that it was a single tenant with her young son and no pets (although I advertised the property as...
          19-08-2017, 16:01 PM
        • Reply to Tenant Issues - New Landlord Requesting Advice
          Darth Wookie
          Not entirely. A landlord is responsible to their tenants, but a tenant is responsible for any visitors or occupants they may have during their tenancy.
          Is it really possible to dictate to a person who they should, or should not, have in the privacy of their own home. Can we, as a society, really...
          21-08-2017, 10:15 AM
        • Mice in the flat - what to do?
          JP23
          We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
          26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
        • Reply to Mice in the flat - what to do?
          HantsAgent
          Great, but you've entirely missed the point I was making.

If someone walked across my front garden and allowed their dog to take a massive dump I'd have more than reasonable grounds to hold them responsible for cleaning it up.

But if they refused or claimed that it wasn't down...
          21-08-2017, 10:01 AM
        • NTQ during fixed term?
          vpltd
          Hi,
          Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
          (A residential let in England.)
          VPL.
          11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
        • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
          jpkeates
          Notice to quit is pretty well defined, "surrender" is not, so while that list looks complete, it is in fact not.

For a tenant to surrender a tenancy, there should be an offer of surrender and the landlord has to accept that offer.

If s21 notice is served and a tenant...
          21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
        • End of student tenancy
          mkgirl
          Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as...
          20-08-2017, 17:29 PM
        • Reply to End of student tenancy
          jpkeates
          There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant"...
          21-08-2017, 09:17 AM
        • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
          james99
          Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
          16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
        • Reply to Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
          leaseholder64
          Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach...
          21-08-2017, 09:16 AM
        Working...
        X