Tenants Done a Runner -No Forwarding Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants Done a Runner -No Forwarding Address

Anyone able to offer advise- My tenants have just done a runner leaving no forwarding address and owing 2 months rent.

To be fair they left had been good tenants for 2 years but got into financial problems over last 6 months so we cut a bit of slack to try and help them

However they have now done a moonlight with no contact details or forwarding address and I just wonder if anyone else has had similar problems and can offer any advise

We were expecting them to move out it is more the fact that they went early and have gone into hiding that we are annoyed about and judging by letters turning up we are not the only ones owed money

Originally posted by alanjohnston View Post
    Anyone able to offer advise- My tenants have just done a runner leaving no forwarding address and owing 2 months rent.

To be fair they left had been good tenants for 2 years but got into financial problems over last 6 months so we cut a bit of slack to try and help them

However they have now done a moonlight with no contact details or forwarding address and I just wonder if anyone else has had similar problems and can offer any advise

We were expecting them to move out it is more the fact that they went early and have gone into hiding that we are annoyed about and judging by letters turning up we are not the only ones owed money
    Is it worth using a tracing agency to locate them? Compare agency's costs against arrears.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

For two months rent you are likely to spend more chasing them than you could get back. If there are also other creditors it is unlikely you will get anything. When this happened to me, I did my own detective work and obtained an attachment of earnings order. This came at a cost and even if the payments continue, I am looking at 20 years to get my money back. The only real gain is satisfaction.

Comment

If they have done a runner, what have you done to gain re-possession of the property. From other posters views in reply to similar cases, LL's have to be particularly careful in this respect. Perhaps a seach of the forum using the word "abandonment" may throw up some answers for you. (I'd do it for you but I'm quite busy at the moment)

I think Mr Woof has a valid point: you need to decide if chasing them for 2 month's is just throwing good money after bad, especially if they have other creditors.

Perhaps you just need to concetrate on getting the house back "officially" (if you haven't already done so) and use your time and money finding new tenants. Although it may be very satisfying trying to find them and getting them to pay, it's your money that will be used doing it for possibly little or no result.

I do think it's a shame when previously good tenants, having got into financial problems for whatever reason, do not have the confidence or morality to be honest and upfront with their LL, especially after having started out that way. I can only imagine (being a tenant not a LL) that it would taint the LL's view of all future tenants, no matter how reliable they might appear on face value.

Whatever your decision, good luck with it.
        Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

My advice would be to be carefull and get a posession order.I was in your shoes 6 months ago my tennants from hell dissapeared.I served a sectiom 21 notice and a month later put up a notice saying I believed the property to be abandoned,gained entry and cleared out the mess.My tennant has now got in touch to collect his stuff which I stored,he now is saying things are missing and he is getting a solicitor saying I entered illegaly.He signed the tennancy agreement under a false name and I am hoping that this will stop him taking me to court

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X