What type of tenancy?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What type of tenancy?


    I would have posted this on the letting agents section but no one ever seems to look there and i could do with an answer on this asap.

    If you let a flat to someone who will have their rent paid by someone else what type of agreement do you use?

    Basically, this lady is having her house refurbished by her current landlord and he will pay for his tenant to be rehomed in that time.

    I'm thinking i use an AST, make the landlord the responsible party and add the "tenant" in as an occupier?

    Or a company let? I'm confused...HELP

    I would say the tenant is your tenant and you have an AST.
    She pays the rent and gets reimbursed by her other landlord.

    This way it's simple and she has the same duties and rights with you as any other tenant.



      But she is a protected tenant currently, and she is retired and can't afford to pay the rent first and be reimbursed by the Landlord. Plus, he is the one who will put down the deposit and pay the rent and be laible. Surely i can't put her as the tenant as she can't be held responsible for the rent? Also, we won't be referencing her, just the landlord.

      I can see what you are saying, but if there are any problems won't a court wonder why i made her the tenant when she has no liability?


        I'm not an expert but wouldn't the solution to this problem be that the landlord acts as a guarantor ?

        The tenant is named on the AST as your tenant, her LL is the guarantor (you reference him), and because the tenant can't pay her guarantor does for her.
        A bit like some parents pay for their student children.


          Think it through!

          The landlord of the protected tenancy could become the "tenant" in this situation but NOT under an AST (if it were, it would have to be the tenant's main home, which it isn't); the protected tenant of this property could become a licensed occupier as Jennifer states, but that's not really the best way (see below).

          If the protected tenant took a new AST it could prejudice her claim to repossess her protected tenanted property as it would have to become her main home, and she could be relinquishing this right by taking another lease. A court however, would not uphold any attempt by the landlord to repossess the original home as that would be a clear breach of her rights under the 1977 Rent Act, even if she were to be mistakenly offered an AST.

          Also as tenant of the substitute property on an AST she might be tied-in for 6 months which could be too long, yet with a tenancy at common law there is no minimum, or indeed, maximum period.

          The answer probably is for the tenant to take a periodic tenancy at common law on a month-by-month or week by week basis, with the landlord of the protected tenancy acting as guarantor. You could also create a joint tenancy if necessary, between her current landlord and herself, even though there would be only one occupant, which would obviate the need for a guarantor.
          The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


          Latest Activity


          • Help to understand letting agent contract termination clauses
            by gkasus
            I am a first time landlord. Appreciate anyone's help on the interpretation of the termination clauses for my fully managed let property. The tenancy agreement started in 2017 for 1 year and then went into periodic to now. Tenancy is still active.

            The current contract is quite explicit...
            14-12-2019, 18:24 PM
          • Reply to Deposit and withholding keys
            by DPT57
            What does the tenancy agreement say the deposit is? If it says a months rent for example it would be easy for the tenant to claim that they paid you one week by bank transfer and the rest in cash. It would be practically impossible for you to dispute this and their penalty claim then goes up to 3x 1...
            14-12-2019, 15:51 PM
          • Deposit and withholding keys
            by Battered landlord
            I’ve been a bit naive. I had a short hold tenancy agreement with tenants signed 18 months ago for a year. They have just moved out. I only recently obtained a small portion of the deposit (initially was asked if I could give them a bit of a grace period to get depot together). They promised to pay...
            06-12-2019, 22:46 PM
          • Reply to rough cost of repairing a basin
            by mariner
            I assume T caused the basin damage, so charge the T for replacing it less estimate for FW&T for lost years of life expectancy since provided new. Thus the Deposit remains intact for other T damage discovered. less FW&T, or combine and use Deposit scheme ADR
            14-12-2019, 14:37 PM
          • rough cost of repairing a basin
            by Battered landlord
            Tenants have cracked a basin (it was new when they moved in). The damages outweigh the deposit I have. I got a quote of £200 for a new sink, including labour and disposal of old sink). They have asked how much to just repair it. Can anyone give me a rough idea? Thanks very much.
            13-12-2019, 19:42 PM
          • Reply to rough cost of repairing a basin
            by royw
            I wouldn't repair it. The cost obviously depends on the basin, anything from £30 up. As long you get a similar one fitting should be straightforward so I would think £200 was a bit steep. I doubt you'd need to pay for disposal, it should fit in your wheelie bin.
            14-12-2019, 14:24 PM
          • Reply to Tennancy - using a rent guarantor
            by eniacs
            Yes you are right. I've explained to them and they understand. They have come back with another guarantor who has a higher income so will try that. Also have another viewing tomorrow with someone else as a back up.

            Thanks for assistance. Great forums.
            14-12-2019, 13:09 PM
          • Tennancy - using a rent guarantor
            by eniacs

            I've got a tennant applying to rent, everything seems normal, visited the place with her mum and has 2 teenage boys. She works part time but not enough to get approved for the rental payments. She has offered her mum (also working and home owner) as guarantor.

            12-12-2019, 18:31 PM
          • Reply to Getting Housing benefit paid directly
            by Luke
            Its completely true .
            She seemed quite reasonable when we first met and her story seemed to be true .
            Then she suddenly went crazy .
            And I will not be proceeding with the T/A...
            14-12-2019, 11:01 AM
          • Getting Housing benefit paid directly
            by Luke
            I have a potential tenant who is receiving housing benefit and I would like to be paid directly .
            How do I go about making sure that I get paid directly ?
            12-12-2019, 11:36 AM