Tenant refusing to pay rent on grounds house is "not up to standard"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant refusing to pay rent on grounds house is "not up to standard"

I have a tenant who is currently refusing to pay his rent on the grounds that the house is "not up to standard". The house has recently been refurbished and is finished with the exception that the skirting boards have not been fitted downstairs and the doors have not been painted. Other than that they have new carpets, new furniture, new kitchen, new bathroom etc etc.

Does he have grounds not to pay on this basis?

Long answer - No.

Comment

Thanks for that. I thought that was the case.

Out of interest what sort of state would a house have to be in before they could claim this? Would the Environment agency have to be involved?

Comment

I would say that he viewed the property before taking up the tenancy, accepted what he saw and thus he must pay the agreed sum. He has a slight case not to pay the full amount if on viewing he was promised that certain work would be carried out that wasn't. He would have more of a case if something happened which caused the local environmental health department to declare the property unfit for human habitation.
        Sounds like one of the dreaded "professional tenants" who will have to be got rid of as quickly as the law allows.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X