Unemployed prospective tenant, but enough funds to pay rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well you learn something every day - I have never ever seen it but obviously it happens!
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

My husband arrived in the UK on an ID card as well
      ... We were in a similar situation as you - we ended up paying 3 months + deposit in advance and showing bank statement from home to show we could afford to live self-supported. After the three months, LL agreed to risk us on a monthly basis - we held our end of the bargain and paid as due and we lived happily ever after for about 24 months in that flat. It was a private rental and we did phone around a bit. Oddly enough our LL was paranoid about most things so glad he took the risk to rent to us!

Comment

This thread about ID's reminds me of the story of the Southern (USA) sheriff who stopped a motorist.

He asked the old timer driving: 'Got any I.D.?'

The old timer replied: 'About whut?'
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Well, this morning I had a chat with a clerk at a UK bank, and she said that once I have my local account opened, and an adequate amount of money transferred, they can issue a statement about my dependability.

Originally posted by Soot2006 View Post
          ... We were in a similar situation as you - we ended up paying 3 months + deposit in advance and showing bank statement from home to show we could afford to live self-supported. After the three months, LL agreed to risk us on a monthly basis
          Very interesting. Do you mean you agreed on a fixed term three months tenancy and then continued on a monthly basis? This could be an acceptable compromise... well, at least for me.

Comment

I really don't understand how a brand new bank account shows dependability ?

Only takes two minutes to transfer thousands back out of it again
            I'm a good tenant with great landlords
            I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by egarrulo View Post
              Well, this morning I had a chat with a clerk at a UK bank, and she said that once I have my local account opened, and an adequate amount of money transferred, they can issue a statement about my dependability.

Very interesting. Do you mean you agreed on a fixed term three months tenancy and then continued on a monthly basis? This could be an acceptable compromise... well, at least for me.
              We signed a 6-month AST but only started paying monthly after the third month. As I said I am grateful to the LL, but we also presented ourselves well to him, explained the situation, offered the prepayment as evidence of our commitment, etc. Most LLs are human too ... and most tenants are not out to scam anyone. We just hear about the bad tenants a lot! But personally have never been a bad tenant nor a bad LL!

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                I really don't understand how a brand new bank account shows dependability ?

Only takes two minutes to transfer thousands back out of it again
                Well, and who says you won't be quitting your job right after signing a tenancy agreement? Anyway, I was thinking about investing almost all my money in bonds or similar assets after transferring it, saving for an amount I'll be living off. That will mean my money will be staying there.

What a funny situation: I'm in a much better financial situation than an average clerk, and yet I seem a much worse bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Soot2006 View Post
                  Most LLs are human too ... and most tenants are not out to scam anyone. We just hear about the bad tenants a lot! But personally have never been a bad tenant nor a bad LL!
                  100% agree.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X