Accelearated Possesion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accelearated Possesion question

Am in AST was issued a section 21,all info was accurate. Have been sent the N5B accelerated procedure with all the relevant information( deposit scheme info, LL leasehold etc etc )
    I am not defending the LL claim only extra time to pay the charges.The N5B was received on 20th Oct. I have called the court and have had various answers to my question,the only thing I want to find out is this : As I have not defended the possession will the claim go ahead automatically now the 14 days that I had to reply have passed?? ( its 4 weeks since I got the N5B now and I sent the defence form within the 2 weeks) or does the LL need to file anything else ? when I call the courts they say they have heard nothing from the LL solicitors so nothing progresses ? many thanks theoldcastle
    Last edited by theoldcastle; 16-11-2011, 20:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Section 21 has nothing to do with any unpaid rent that you may have accrued - it is simply the landlords right to repossess the property because you are out of contract.

Therefore, although you have an obligation to pay the unpaid rent, doing so will not affect the validity of the section 21 eviction.

Have the courts confirmed that they have received your defence / request for extra time? If so, the paperwork will now be sat in a judges 'box' (like an in-tray) awaiting his attention - its not a priority so may be a little time yet.

Once the judge makes his decision, he will give you a minimum of 2 weeks (you have already had over 2 months notice) but if you have given reasons to extend this, he may extend that up to a maximum of 6 weeks. You can not be granted more than that.

Comment

Hi Snorkerz
      There are no rent arrears, the LL simply wants me out, no I have had no confirmation that the court have had the defence form, would it make any difference to the possession if they didnt get it? even though I am not contesting the claim? only the length of time to pay costs? That is what I am trying to find out...if for example the defence form went astray would the possession go ahead still ?they seem to be saying that they are still waiting to hear from the LL solicitors to have the go ahead for this possession order ? why...when they have submitted the N5B form ??any answers??

Comment

I can see no reason why the court would be waiting on the landlords solicitors input. If you can call the court to verify that they have had your defence paperwork you may get a clerk who knows what they are talking about (court admin don't always get things right).

If the form went astray, the court should just assume you were not defending the claim, and after 14 days, pass it to the judge for consideration.

May I ask, is the landlord asking for more than £175 in costs?

Comment

This is what is written re costs :court fee £175
          then in paragraph 10 of the N5B :the claimants therefore claim their costs of prepairing and filing this claim form in the sum of £860+vat of £172, land registry fees of £5.2 +£0.28 and the issue fee of £175 total £1,212.70. Is this excessive ?

Comment

As people replied to the same question you asked on another forum, I believe (from the other forum) that in accelerated possession proceedings, costs for solicitor fees are fixed and set in a Civil Procedure Rule (part 45) at about £130

If so that would be the maximum the court would award in addition of the £175 court fee.

Comment

Only the judge can decide if it is exessive.

I am not a lawyer, and I can offer no guarantees, but I would see if you can get a letter to the court for the judges attention along the lines of...

Claim number XX123456 in the Xxxx County Court

In the case of Mr X Xxxxx (Landlord) and Mr T Oldcastle (Tenant)

I request that the fees and costs requested by the claimant be disallowed as section 21 is a 'no fault' eviction and it is my 'right' not to be evicted without due process. If the claimant wishes to claim his 'right' to evict me under the provisions of section 21 then I feel it should be his responsibility to pay any fees required to exercise that right.

If the court decides that I should be ordered to pay the landlords court fees, I would further ask you to not award the claimants legal fees etc as these are un-necessary costs and it was the claimants decision to incur such costs. The section 21 possession process is simple enough to allow the claim to be handled without legal help as thousands of landlords have done so before.

If at all possible, I would get that typed up and physically taken to the court today to be attached to the file. Explain to the clerk that you suspect the file is already in the judges box (yes, that's the correct term) and you'd be greatful if your letter could be dealt with as a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                As people replied to the same question you asked on another forum, I believe (from the other forum) that in accelerated possession proceedings, costs for solicitor fees are fixed and set in a Civil Procedure Rule (part 45) at about £130

If so that would be the maximum the court would award in addition of the £175 court fee.
                Thanks for that JJlandlord. Most interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                  Thanks for that JJlandlord. Most interesting.
                  You're most welcome.
                  I think the relevant CPR is:
                  http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/c...5.htm#IDAQM0HC

Some info on this (where fixed costs apply and how to avoid them [written by solicitors ;-)] ):
                  http://www.knights-solicitors.co.uk/...fair-payment?/

Comment

Just done a N5B myself as landlord.
                    On the Landlords copy of the Possession Notice served to the tenant that gives them 14 days to submit a defence, there is a tear off strip at the bottom of the form which should be send to the court when the 14 days is up and no defence has been submitted. The court then issues the actual possession notice with the date possession is required by.

Perhaps the landlords solicitors have not yet sent this form back.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
                      by Landyman
                      Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
                      16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
                    • Flat rental bathroom query
                      by NewGuyOne
                      Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
                      16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
                    • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                      by axil23
                      Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
                      16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
                    • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                      by axil23
                      I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
                      13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
                    • surrender of lease charges
                      by jshire
                      Hi,
                      I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
                      16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
                    • Reply to Gas certificate fail
                      by MdeB
                      But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
                      16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
                    • Gas certificate fail
                      by ReginaPhalangi
                      We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
                      15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
                    • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                      by MdeB
                      There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
                      16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
                    • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                      by MdeB
                      That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
                      16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
                    • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
                      by steaming
                      4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
                      16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
                    Working...
                    X