Tenants disputing part refunded deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants disputing part refunded deposit

I am currently in dispute with my ex-tenants as I have only repaid half of the deposit (£375), reasons are numerous as the condition is well above general wear and tear. My ex-tenants have instructed a solicitor to try and recover the rest of the monies. Having gone back to their solicitor with an offer of another £100 maximum I have yet to hear from them and this was over 6 weeks ago. Is there anything in law that means an ex-tenant has to bring an action in the Small Claims within a certain time frame? This dispute has now beeing going on for almost five months.

Anyone know?

Thanks

It will be six years before any action by the tenant is prevented by the Limitation Act, so the tenant has six years measured from when the alleged debt first arose to issue a summons.

Comment

Why offer £100 if you deducted the money fairly ?

If they've done some damage, you got it repaired and kept the receipts (obviously ?!), deducted the amount from the deposit (it wasn't held as stakeholder was it ?) and that's it.
      If they feel it's unfair they can take you to small claims court but as long as you can prove you did everything by the book there's nothing to worry about.
      If you just took money at random or didn't have an inventory then you might be in trouble.

Comment

Limitation Act

It will be six years before any action by the tenant is prevented by the Limitation Act, so the tenant has six years measured from when the alleged debt first arose to issue a summons.

Yea but the tenant has to prove to the judge that he has made reasonable efforts to collect the debt from you

Including writing to you & making reasonable efforts to negotiate

If they do nothing for years then I don't think most judges would think it would be reasonable

Comment

Sorry Ngadef - you are wrong.

A Creditor does not have to prove reasonable efforts to collect the debt before the six years is up and ANY judge is COMPELLED to allow a proven debt which is under six years as actionable. A creditor can, if he/she wishes, wait until the six years is almost up and then claim the original debt and statutory interest currently at 8% - this can double some debts and is a perfectly legal course of action.

And for documents under seal, such as property sales, the limitation period is 12 years.

Comment

Thanks everyone for replying.

The £100 was offered because I don't want to go to small claims if possible as it's more hassle than it's worth. But if my ex-tenants are not interested in collecting the money now then I'll guess I will keep hold of my pictorial evidence for the next few years just in case.

Cheers

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Smoking tenant
              by Hudson01
              I can only echo the above comments, you have done what you need too, although to be honest i would have taken this action years ago, if you have never liked all the smoke then why put up with it for so long...... I would be very unhappy about all the smoke but i would seriously consider selling both...
              13-05-2021, 19:42 PM
            • Smoking tenant
              by renting25
              Please can you offer us advice as to whether there is any action that can be taken to stop a very serious situation of anti social behaviour.My wife and myself own 2 maisonettes a upstairs owned by me that we both live in and a downstairs that is owned by my wife and she has rented the property out...
              13-05-2021, 17:17 PM
            • Reply to Early change of Landlord
              by theartfullodger
              Sympathy! Don't forget to advise tenants to pursue the agent's complaints process and when that process fails - (I can foresee the future) - to use the lettings agent redress scheme. See here advice from Mssrs Shelter..
              https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes

Good luck:...
              13-05-2021, 19:34 PM
            • Early change of Landlord
              by islandgirl
              Would be grateful for thoughts on this. Daughter signed student tenancy for next academic year on Monday this week. LL shown as an individual with the same name as the letting agency. Yesterday she was told that the LL wishes to self manage and to change her standing order payment to an investment company...
              13-05-2021, 09:52 AM
              by Jon66
              Yes I agree with the above. Make sure you have complied with statutory requirements to ensure any s21 is valid.
              13-05-2021, 18:59 PM
            • Unreasonably Withholding Consent on Internal Layout Change
              by wabdiddly
              Dear All,

Looking for an opinion and some legal views behind what I can do in the following situation.

My top floor flat has rather wonky flooring, which the structural engineer's report described as "in poor condition and needs levelling to provide satisfactory living...
              13-05-2021, 18:28 PM
              by ash72
              You have been provided the advice by your legal council, if you want them out seek possession of the property (do it before S21 is removed), you need to now moved to the next stage which is put in an application for possession, then finally bailiffs. I would also stop complaining to the T's it is harassment,...
              13-05-2021, 17:44 PM
            • Reply to New landlord needs some advice
              by DPT57
              She wouldn't be able to rent it straight away anyway if you carry out referencing, (which you should), as this takes a few days. I get people to complete an application form too. A lot of prospective tenants are flaky on OR. Some promise to call you and you never hear from them again, even if you try...
              13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
            • New landlord needs some advice
              by wenqi
              Hi, I am just a new landlord who is renting our first property using openrent. I do need some advice from you.

We had a very lovely lady to view our house. She looked love our property and wanted to take it straight away. Because she came alone (her partner was working), my husband advised...
              12-05-2021, 19:56 PM
            • Reply to 'Replacement tenancy' issue
              by berliner
              "If the new tenancy is for a lesser rent, the tenant will remain liable to pay an amount equal to the difference between the original rent and new lower rental figure up to the end of the original fixed term."

I read in a similar post that such a clause might not be enforceab...
              13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
            Working...
            X